News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 365 engine and hydramatic tranny

Started by flahivek, June 28, 2022, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flahivek

So I took out my engine and tranny together for engine rebuild, and am also having the tranny checked over. I am wondering if I can put the engine in when I am done with rebuild, and then put the tranny in after that, or if it is just better to wait and put them both in together. I figured with the engine in, I can jack and block the car and using a tranny jack I can get it in place easier than having to lift both engine and trans again. Any input helps!

J. Gomez

Quote from: flahivek on June 28, 2022, 12:06:29 PMSo I took out my engine and tranny together for engine rebuild, and am also having the tranny checked over. I am wondering if I can put the engine in when I am done with rebuild, and then put the tranny in after that, or if it is just better to wait and put them both in together. I figured with the engine in, I can jack and block the car and using a tranny jack I can get it in place easier than having to lift both engine and trans again. Any input helps!

Kevin,

Yes you can only caveat is you will need to support the rear of the block somehow to keep it straight as possible. You do not want the block to place a strain on the motor mounts without any support on the rear.

I had mine chained around the cross members for a few weeks while I worked on the transmission.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

flahivek

So is it worth me just waiting and dropping both in together do you think? If so, what is my best bet for anchor points on the hoist. When I took the engine and trans out I had already disassembled much of the top end so I just wrapped straps around exhaust manifolds. Am I better off using a carb lift plate, or holding off on installing the intake and using those intake threaded holes and a leveling system?

J. Gomez

Quote from: flahivek on June 28, 2022, 04:19:46 PMSo is it worth me just waiting and dropping both in together do you think? If so, what is my best bet for anchor points on the hoist. When I took the engine and trans out I had already disassembled much of the top end so I just wrapped straps around exhaust manifolds. Am I better off using a carb lift plate, or holding off on installing the intake and using those intake threaded holes and a leveling system?

Kevin,

It all depends on your situation and your tools at hand. I remove both altogether since I had no second helper handy at that time but had the front grill, rad and support out when I pull them and I still had to use the leveling to clear the transmission.

I did not trust having that big chuck of iron held by a small bolts at the carb mount, so I removed the intake manifold and use the larger bolts on each corner with the leveling bar chain.

Since I had all four wheels up on wheel-ramps already mounting the engine only was very easy with just one person. The transmission was a bit of a hassle but was able to get it in place and mount the four special washers/spacer for the flex plate and bolt everything in while under the car.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082