News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 Deville Convertible top replacement?

Started by 70DevilleinTX, July 01, 2022, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70DevilleinTX

I am beginning to research a replacement top for my 70 Deville. Currently the top is in perfect working order, but the previous owner used duct tape to repair a couple holes so it is quite unsightly. Below are a few questions that I would love to hear people's personal experience.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

1.) What brand of top did you use or would you recommend?

2.) Should I go with a glass or plastic window? (currently has glass, the top will remain down 98% of the time and price is not a deciding factor)

3.) Is there a manufacturer that will send out fabric samples? (car is Byzantine Gold with gold interior and white top currently, but considering beige/brown for the replacement)

4.) What should I expect in labor charges, and does anyone have recommendations for installers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

5.) What else should I replace when I change the top? I already have new weather strip, but I read about replacing the well liner? No idea what I'm doing here, all info appreciated.

35-709

https://keeautotop.com/
https://robbinsautotop.com/

Links to two well known and respected convertible top manufacturers in the U.S., above.  Just replaced the top on my Bonneville a few months ago with a Kee top.  Biggest deal was the wait (about 6 weeks), like every one else they were, maybe still are, way behind on their orders. The installer I used wanted me to purchase my top from either one of the companies linked to above.

-If it has a glass window, stay with a glass window.
-Call and talk to the top makers about samples, colors, etc.  They have them.
-My convertible top was $478 + 51.83 shipping from KEE in November of 2021.  Installation was $550 (in cash), as I remember.
-Replacement of the well liner would be predicated on the condition of your old one, but on a 52 y.o. car I would replace it as a matter of course.  You probably won't be doing this again any time soon.
Your order should also include ---   
•   Pair of Hold Down Cables
•   Tack Strips for Header Bow and Rear Top Bow
•   Top Pads

It just so happened that when my installer got the old top off my car, the header bow was found to be badly rusted, a new (repop) one was readily available from Hydro-E-Lectric --- www.hydroe.com   Hydro-E-Lectric (in Florida) is an excellent source for most any electrical or mechanical part you might need for your top mechanism.
Good luck,
Geoff N.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

To add --- my well-experienced installer was laid off from his upholstery shop job when the shop he worked for closed.  He was working out of his home garage and had no overhead as far as buildings, insurance, other employees, etc.  So, my cost of installation may have been less than what you will experience from a going concern in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.  There are other members from your area that visit this forum from time to time who may be able to help you with finding a good installer. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'll make 2 suggestions.
Go with glass
Have them make the top so the back curtain will unzip. That had that feature in 1965 & HAD to eliminate it in 66 to 70 for some reason. Probably to save a few pennies. 
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

V63

You might consider canvas (cloth) as a very attractive option.

(Factory tops  were all vinyl at that time)

bctexas

I have used Fuller Upholstery in Haltom City, TX several times for upholstery work, always with stellar results.  A close friend has restored several Sunbeam Tigers, and has had Fuller install the convertible tops.  He just told me that he also would not hesitate to recommend Fuller 100% for convertible top work and upholstery work. 

Bob Fuller is the owner. 

https://www.fullerautoupholstery.com/home/4675720

The shop is on Hwy 377 just north of NE Loop 820.

Happy Motoring!

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Robert,

If you aren't going for restoration, as in Factory perfect< I would advise going with the Canvas, or Hartz material.

I have one on my '72 Eldorado, of unknown age, and it is standing up really well, and looks like lasting a lot longer.

The Vinyl ones don't have the longevity of the Canvas ones.

The last picture is of the material up really close.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I had a 1969 DeVille convertible for many years. I replaced the top three times. It was an outdoor car most of the time. Stick with the glass window. The plastic one will always look like you cheaped out on the job, plus they start turning brown in short order. If you keep your top down a lot, you have to worry about scratching it. Yes, this is a good time to replace your well cover. They take a beating from sun and moisture and turn brittle. I used a Kee top the last time. I was very pleased. It is a good idea to replace the side cables and the pads when you do the job. 1969 and 1970 tops had a silencer pad on the inside of the top over the front seat. These are often left off when the top is replaced. They fade and get shabby over time. If yours is still there, best to replace it. People who know these cars will notice if it is missing. Finally, I would stick with vinyl for the top. Canvas tops are more prone to damage from abrasion than vinyl ones. If the top is usually down and folded, this is more of a problem. Also, to my mind, these cars look better when they are more authentic. I remember how they looked when they were new. I don't think that anything after about 1954 looks right with a canvas top. Kind of like wide whitewalls after about 1960. Of course, if you like that kind of look, have at it!

Good luck.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

As Monty Python would say..... "And now for something completely different"

You said your top works perfectly and it's down 98% of the time....probably only goes up when a shower is coming down....

Why not just take the old duct tape off and sew up the slices as best you can....then buy a couple of rattle cans of SEM convertible top color...any color you want and cover the whole top...

Put the new top on when you go to sell the car someday....

But for now just drive and enjoy that big convertible...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon