News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Your ideal everyday Caddy for the modern world?

Started by jwwseville60, January 08, 2023, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

Ive long been thinking about what practical, sensible vintage Caddy I would drive every single day (no snow or salt) in modern city traffic and everywhere else. One that would replace my boring modern ride with style! I think Ive nailed it.
For my personal style choice, Im thinking 1968 or earlier.

• A 1964 six window sedan. Stunning and classic. Super cool. Good visibility. Good driver quality, not a show car.
• Blind spot mirrors as needed.
• Heavy duty rust undercoating.
• An LS3 Escalade engine and transmission. (Or a GM 5.3 unit). No ethanol heat soak.
• Better radiator.
• The AC and heating system out of that modern Escalade donor car.
• Modern rack and pinion steering.
• A limited slip diff. (It was a 1963 option). Or a more modern GM LSD axle.
• Billet 15-inch Sabre wheels and radials. Easily replaced or fixed. (no hubcaps to deal with). Plus a spare in the trunk. WW radials of course.
• Caddy Daddy disc brakes on all four wheels. (Or Wilwood).
• For safety, the headrests from a 1970 Caddy. (Or a custom-made set).
• Discreet square steel roll bar covered in matching interior material with 3-point seat belts.
• A Garmin GPS in a console.
• A hidden modern stereo and discreet speakers.
• Oil pressure gauge and ammeter under the dash hidden.
• For safety in a world of cellphone-checkers, an LED third brake light somewhere...probably at the base of the rear window inside.

I think that does it.
You could probably get service at any Caddy dealer.
What Caddy and mods would you choose?

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

How about a stone stock 1976 CdV? All the creature comforts and reliability I could ask for. In fact, that's what my daily driver(s) are, a 75 and a 76 Cdv. I've taken them anywhere, anytime I want to go.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jwwseville60

A 1976 CDV is a good stock choice.
However, for reliable long distance and everyday use, parts may be a problem if you break down far from home. We've all had that experience. I once spent 3 days far from home in a motel awaiting parts and repair. Lately, I had a carburetor problem on the road. I stopped at a service center and they said they didnt work on them or old cars anymore. No one knew how.

A converted original R12 AC system––even to R134A––is nowhere as good as a modern GM unit. If you keep the stock GM R12 system, then you may be out of luck for recharges & service while on the road.

My point with this super-reliable resto-mod exercise is... true everyday reliability & performance with very good parts & service availability. And all the while looking vintage stock, not like a big-wheel air bag street rod low-rider with purple flames.
Older engines and transmissions are starting to fatigue metal-wise, so for everyday traffic use and power, a modern motor fits the criteria.
Most decent mechanics can service an LS3 and its associated modern GM components. Parts are only a dealer away.

An example:   https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/62/2625859.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK2j5Vc7qpQ
Lifetime CLC

bcroe

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364How about a stone stock 1976 CdV? All the creature comforts and reliability I could ask for. In fact, that's what my daily driver(s) are, a 75 and a 76 Cdv. I've taken them anywhere, anytime I want to go. Greg Surfas

I am with Greg.  Build up a custom car, that no one can
service, and will needa lot of debugging, if you like. 
Or just get a straightforward late 70s that is already
debugged and easily repaired, running on the cheapest
crap unleaded gas.  70s had the safety features, engines
designed to last with minimum maintenance.  Get the brand
O E car and get your brake light too.  Bruce Roe

jwwseville60

Sorry folks, I like the classic tail fin 40s-50s-and 60s Caddies for this job.
No offense, but the 1970s cars look too new to me for this conversion, and they dont really need much modification.
I have to have a tail fin Caddy for this application.

However, a 1976 Castillian station wagon wouldnt be a bad choice.
It has loads of cargo capacity. Lots of torque. An under stressed 500 engine too.
Regular gas.
Lifetime CLC

James Landi

"Sorry folks, I dont care for 1970s Caddies. Im a 40s-50s-60s guy."

John redirects the conversation back to his original posting--- wishing to have the styling/design from an earlier period as the starting point for his thought experiment. So, yes, absolutely, there are newer Cadillacs with more modern components that, as originally engineered, would provide a "better ownership experience" in a contemporary setting. I think John is addressing all of the stresses associated with present day urban traffic.  Long stops in traffic, many drivers moviing well above the speed limit, lengthy rolling back ups...  so, I  suspect there's a financial equation inherent in this discussion--- one that would include the cost of an entirely new drive train, suspension, brake system, safety equipment and cabin amenities versus the alternative, that being ownership of an original well maintained Cadillac that is used occasionally and not put under the stress associated with long hauls on packed highways on a regular basis. Coincidentally, there's another recent posting that includes a link to someone who's in the process of "electrifying" a 59 sedan... He's well "into" it, and wants it as a daily 250 mile driver, so perhaps, over the long haul (!), such a conversion will be more suitable and worthy of consideration.    Happy day,  James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

For general all purpose daily driving and long trips, a bone stock 2006 - 2011 DTS works for me. For something a little more "traditional" Cadillac, a 1990 - 1992 Brougham with 350 engine or a 77-78-79 DeVille/Brougham- again all stock. The RWD Fleetwood of 1994 to 1996 is another great highway cruiser with plenty of power if you don't mind the bulbous styling. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Andrew Trout

I'd like a 1956/1957/1958 sedan (easier to handle a kid with four doors) with an EV drivetrain, and the requisite modernization of the brakes and suspension.

End result would be similar to what ICON did with a 1949 Mercury Coupe EV conversion. You can also see it on Jay Leno's YouTube Channel. I'd just deviate from the Derelict line aesthetic and have a 'normal' paint job.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

dinhnguyen57

I had a 1996 Brougham that was my daily driver commuting 100 miles round trip to and from work.  I can get any mechanic to work on it and parts were easy to find.  It floated down the highway just like the vintage Cadillacs did.  Gas mileage was not bad either.

I would love to have a car from the '70s as my daily driver, but it would probably cost too much in gas for me.

1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

64\/54Cadillacking

I would love to own any '53-59 Caddy to be honest and keep it the way it came from the factory, specifically a 54-58 Fleetwood bone stock, besides for wanting disk brakes, and a dual master cylinder for added safety. These cars I am sure all performed perfectly fine when they were new.

Also, I would add fat 3-4 inch gangster WW tires on them. I know it's not stock, but fat WW tires just look proper on any 50's Cad IMO. I would lower the car an inch or two. Put Kelsey Hayes wire wheels on em too.

Keep the interior and exterior stock, but possibly install a TH400 for better power delivery and performance in the 50's cars. Add a nice stereo system or just put a bunch of Bluetooth speakers in the car connect them all, and play music from my phone that way. I put 2  wireless JBL Flip 5 pillbox speakers in the corners of the back seat of my '64 when I go for a cruise and those little speakers sound amazing for their size. I'm not kidding, the clarity and bass is unmatched from other smaller similarly designed speakers.  Battery life is great too.

Love to also own, but would happily drive every day a mint 63-64 Fleetwood and or a 66 Fleetwood with the pull down trays and footrest. Again lower the cars by about an inch or so, no modifications to anything mechanical as again, these cars are absolutely amazing in stock form. And they have power for days especially when the 429 engine and TH400 trans came out.

I've never been big on customization of Cadillacs especially if the car is in really nice original condition.

I do also like low riders, but they have to be strictly Chevy's from the 1930's-1965. And they all do look pretty bad ass dropped with daytons on them. Even stock late thirties Chevs such as a '38-'39 Fleetline or Fleetmaster are super nice rides simply lowered and completely stock.

A 1946-48 Chevy Fleetline has to be one of my favorite swoop back Chevies ever. They are super slick and stylish cars and look amazing customized.

But Classic Chevy's are stupid expensive and that was part of the reason I wanted to own a classic Caddy instead. Cost, and just because Cadillacs is such a huge upgrade from a Chevy in every factor that it was a no brainer for me. The main attraction is obviously the styling, but then the having one of the best V8's under the hood, and a world renowned automatic transmission, you get the best of both worlds without ever needing to force yourself to upgrade the engine mainly because of the lack of power.

You never really feel like old Cadillacs were gutless especially the 331-472 engine era. And the need for more power wasn't necessary per-say unless you're a speed demon.  8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

I suspect one element of this discussion is subtextual, and might best be "teased out" by addressing it without regard to modern safety features and customization, so here it goes: If you were given a near perfect 60 year old Cadillac, would you ever consider using it as a daily driver?  We all recognize that no matter how well maintained, parts wear, rust takes its toll, and the car gradually becomes worth less and less, until it's considered worthless.  A personal example--- I've owned three  Eldorados that I wanted to own and drive for the remainder of my life.  In all three cases, once I approached the 300,000 mark, it was embarrassing expensive  to justify the repairs and inconvenience. I'd way too often hear, "Mr. Landi, the car is not worth the price of the repair. It doesn't owe you anything.  It's time for a new vehicle."  SO I'd sadly say my "goodbyes" and move on.  Of the 20 or so Cadillacs I've owned since the mid-60's, I ONLY purchased the same model year and model -- 2X '56, 3 X '77,and 2 Allantes (different years, but basically the same).   The rest of my used Cadillacs were newer models mainly because I could not justify maintaining and storing multiple "occasional cars," since I can not personally justify wearing out and using up a scarce and beautiful decades' old Cadillac. James

64\/54Cadillacking

I know I wouldn't dare to daily drive a mint low mileage classic Caddy. Just because I wouldn't want to add any wear n tear to the car. Also I do think the size and bulk of them could make them a challenge to daily drive with old drum brakes and sloppy steering in modern day traffic.

But however back in 2002, my first car I ever bought and is the reason why I've been hooked on old Cadillacs ever since, was a 1972 Sedan Deville. That big 472 made taking off and accelerating on the freeway effortless. I drove that car to Vegas back to San Diego twice. I lived in Vegas for 5 months and the car never ever gave me any trouble during the burning hot summer heat. I think all I did for repairs in the 2 years I owned and daily drove the car, was the brakes, and a carburetor rebuild. Even the A/C still worked great and was freezing cold in 110 degree weather. Basic maintenance was all I did too, and the car I believe had around 120,000 original miles.

It wasn't my dream Cadillac at all, but it did drive and run very well plus I got it for a cheap price. I think the 70's Cadillac's feel and drive safe enough to cruise around daily unlike a 30's,40's and even some 50's Cadillac's with the older kingpin design steering might make taking these cars on the freeway at high speed unsafe unless the steering and suspension has been gone through and have been fixed.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 09, 2023, 08:34:17 AMFor general all purpose daily driving and long trips, a bone stock 2006 - 2011 DTS works for me. For something a little more "traditional" Cadillac, a 1990 - 1992 Brougham with 350 engine or a 77-78-79 DeVille/Brougham- again all stock. The RWD Fleetwood of 1994 to 1996 is another great highway cruiser with plenty of power if you don't mind the bulbous styling. 

I Like the styling of the 1993-96 Fleetwoods. I do admit that I like the outside mirrors of the 1992-92 Broughams much better. And they are great long distance highway cruisers.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike