News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Rear Chrome Edge

Started by Jeff Moffo, January 31, 2014, 08:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Looking for (don't laugh! :P) the chrome edging (NOS) or USED that was part of the rear bumper fillers on a 74, 75, 76 Cadillac Deville. I need the horizontal, as well as the vertical, pieces. And even the clip that joins them together. I know they are no longer made but was hoping someone
the chrome edging (NOS) or USED that was part of the rear bumper fillers on a 74, 75, 76 Cadillac Deville. I need the horizontal, as well as the vertical, pieces. And even the clip that joins them together. I know they are no longer made but was hoping someone has older pieces maybe that were removed from a scrapped car.

Lastly, ORIGINAL floor mats for DeVille. (Color seat code is Antique dark blue-green 322)
Thank you!

Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Barry

The plastic door edge stripping that is supplied by the makers of the fillers is better than nothing , but is difficult to make the sharp angles with. Some cutting on the bottom edges of the bends helps, but is Far from the originals. I keep hoping someone will make these from polished aluminum that will follow the edges better.Ono of our 70's Cadillacs' weakest links. At least we have the fillers available, but there needs to be a serious improvement in these also.My 76 Fleetwood is having them replaced as we speak ! B. Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Jeff Moffo

Barry,
I agree with you so much.  My fillers were replaced, and luckily the previous owner's body shop did a GREAT job, but they negelected the attempt to save the old edging...I KNOW it can be done as I have spoken to others who salvaged theirs.  Painstaking - yet well worth it.

I hate the way the new edging CURVES the top of the tail "fin"...the originals looked MUCH better.  I may almost attempt to cut some new edging to see if I can get it close.  I obsess over these small things, but I guess that is what allows these cars to be still in pretty much original condition.

I wonder if there is SOMEONE out there that would produce these...seeing there is becoming a demand for them... :-\
Jeff M
North Jersey

Hankk17

I've been looking for a set of these myself, for the exact reasons you guys have already stated.  the spool of plastic chrome junk just looks tacky in my mind.  I actually have a decent set of original bumper fillers that I'm sitting on until I can find some OEM chrome trim...  I know I'm dreaming, but why not.. dream big!  lol

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Jeff Moffo

When you see a car with the original edging, the newer chrome edge looks sooo much worse.
My previous 76 had the original fillers and chrome edge...and not a crack in them.  If I only knew...

Wondering if some company could reproduce a set...how hard could it be?

Seeing 3-D printing is becoming more and more popular...I am just hoping.  It's just plastic with a few nice cuts!
Jeff M
North Jersey

Barry

I was able to transfer the originals on my Bicentennial, but no such luck on the Talisman-too far gone. The edging supplied with my new fillers is wider and more like the original than what I normally find in the auto parts stores, so if they're having that made, why would it not be possible to at least have a pattern on how to score the undersides to help make the sharp bends ? Hopefully some improvement is on the horizon ! B.Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

76eldo

They are not having anything "made".  It's Pep Boys stuff or similar.  Any good body supply store can supply door edge molding on a roll and it only comes in 2 sizes from what I have seen.

If you really take a lot of time, you can make some relief cuts in it.

I have some NOS trims.  When it gets warmer, I will make some measurements and a diagram of where the cuts are.  It's cold in the garage and I won't even touch these parts right now because they will probably crack.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry

Thanks SO MUCH Brian ! That will be a Huge Help !!!  B.Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

Paul Tesone

Hi Brian -When the time comes , I would appreciate a copy of that information as well . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Jeff Moffo

Perfect.  That would help so much!
Blasted winter weather is brutal this year
Jeff M
North Jersey

soloyosh

Quote from: 76eldo on February 01, 2014, 08:57:35 AM
They are not having anything "made".  It's Pep Boys stuff or similar.  Any good body supply store can supply door edge molding on a roll and it only comes in 2 sizes from what I have seen.

If you really take a lot of time, you can make some relief cuts in it.

I have some NOS trims.  When it gets warmer, I will make some measurements and a diagram of where the cuts are.  It's cold in the garage and I won't even touch these parts right now because they will probably crack.

Brian

Was there ever an update on this?

I am replacing the fillers on my 76 Fleetwood.  The fillers around the fins were completely gone along with the trim.

Thanks
Brett

Big Fins

You guys might be best to look at the recent posts by 2011DTS in the Part For Sale section.

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=167448.0

The seller has been a CLC member for a loooooong time and is reputable.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille