News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

ignition lock cylinder change

Started by CadillacRob, July 05, 2016, 11:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys..
Some GM cars had ONE key, and some had TWO keys. When they had one key it fit everything. When they had two keys, one key operated the door locks & ignition while the other key operated the glove box & trunk. SOME  glove box locks were missing part of the tumblers so you can't make a truck key from them. Been there done that in LOTS of rodeos. Making WAGS & comparing apples & oranges does not answer the question.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

CadillacRob

VICTORYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Tons of drilling and 1 bent punch later

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

55 cadi

Good job,  hard part done.

What i was saying is that like mine, the ignition is the same key as the door handle, so getting info from door handle would work.
My glove is the same as the trunk key
I have 2 keys.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

CadillacRob

Ive never removed a door handle yet on one of these old cads.

Im assuming you need to pull the door card, unscrew the latch mechanism and from there with a special tool pop the handle off to access the lock cylinder?
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

russ austin

I have the replacement locks, and they are new.  shoot me an email with  your cars info and your zip code for a shipping quote.
R.Austin

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

russ austin

I only have the new ignition locks for 57 and up.
R.Austin

lnichols

We are restoring a 1953 cadillac coupe Deville and we  can't find the keys. I ordered a new cylinder but read comments that you need the key to change it. Is there a way to change it without the key. Locksmith can't do anything I already checked that out.

1959Fleetwood

In the past i also had several customers cars with missing keys. Without the proper key it's impossible to set the ingnition lock in the richt position, enter a small rod in the hole and push in the pin inside the lock. Several of you mentioned drilling out the lock. I do it the other way by removing the switch part in the housing. At the back of the housing the switch is held in place by three small tabs witch you can bent back with a small screwdriver. After bending back the tabs the switch backplate with te spring and contact ring will come out. Now you can remove the lock by grinding away the tab that holds the lock cylinder in place with a dremel like grinding tool. Doing so you can avoid damaging the switch housing by drilling to far into the lock cylinder. This way also gives you the opportunity to examine the contacts of the switch if they are burned or melted away ( i had one car in my shop who started for itself without turning the key because the contact were heavily burnt) After repair the tabs on the housing can be bent back to secure the backplate again.this works on all cars prior to late 60s. New keys or locks can be obtained through Thomas-J-Sestac who has an Ebay page, Douglas Vogel dvogelauto@aol.com or Jesser's classic keys.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino