News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The ARK arrives at the body shop

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 22, 2022, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

After over 3 years, here we go...
Grabbed The Ark from Area 51 early today, where he's been safely ensconced since the day before the blizzard here.

(Yes, The Lair survived, barely, Michael came over here in the raging blizzard to knock the snow off its roof, I physically couldn't do it. It had started to freeze, I couldn't move it, and the roof was in danger of collapse. Michael drives the Death Star, that truck was on the road when the PD was too afraid. Blizzard MVP to Michael Amster. I've made the necessary repairs to The Lair, there's some mods I want to do, I have time.)

Took The Ark to the approved inspection station, pass. My 53 year old car, pass. My daily driver, fail. WTP? To Michael at HVA who removed the wheel covers. Back to Area 51 (where Have Blue was) and called AAA. Thankfully the horrible tow company AAA will call in this county said they couldn't do such a long tow. (85 miles) Gratefully CapeWay Towing accepted, my "B" tow company who's now my "A" tow company since Bucklers gave me an insane price round trip, heh, now its FREE. Told dispatch I had clean rags here for the straps to keep my Diamond Back white walls clean. No problem. When Drew showed up with the truck, he had stopped at the shop and got 4 brand new straps, just for The Ark. And he had a partner with him. Another CapeWay driver who's a friend said they "only do that with extreme cars". Nice. The Ark was laser straight on the bed, as it should be. That driver was busy today, he already had a run to RI, a service call in Sandwich, now he's picking up The Ark in Hyannis and taking him to the north shore (north of Boston). In rush hour traffic, it was 4:30 when they left. I got my first picture from the shop of The Ark already on the lift at 6:30. They must have used the Cape Cod Tunnel. Shop inspected the car well on arrival, all good. The owner of the company texted me! "Hope you were happy with the service, we did our best to take care of it. That's a pretty well known car around here." Sweet. "Very happy, very pro, make we can work out something for the return trip with the same driver?" Don't see why we can't... Stay tuned...

Got more pics, they already had the rear bumper off. I'm like "dude, its past 7pm, go have a drink and call it off. My car has had a long day, he's tired....

This is a boutique body shop. CLC member who only does a few cars a year at a private shop with all the proper accoutrements and he has a crew. He has to like the car or like the owner. Nobody likes me so must be The Ark. They do 1 (one) car at a time, so its start to finish, all hands on deck on 1 car, super nice. And he's created mind boggling cars, major show winners, we're in VERY good hands, I'm blessed. If he wants to uncloak himself on this thread he's welcome to.

I ordered over $1200 in parts from Rubber The Right Way being shipped directly there. The trunk was full of parts collected over the last few years, several from Charles Fares who I WISH TO GOD WAS STILL WITH US, I know he's with me and The Ark in spirit, keep an eye on things for me Charles, OK? God I miss him.

They already have the new door in primer, trunk lid might be next. They have a lot of work to do. Bumpers will be polished and put back on with an eye towards replacing them next winter, this is costing enough. All the chrome and stainless trim is being sent out to be de-bumped, polished, etc. I've talked to John Gately a couple of times, I may have to rummage through his stock on 1970 Fleetwood parts. The 'may as wells' could cost me my house, so both feet on the brakes, BODY AND PAINT. They've got a lot of cutting and welding to do.

Time frame? I *have* to be at Larz Anderson Cadillac Day on May 15th... The car will be repainted its correct data plate
93, Lucerne Agua Firemist, the color of my dad's first Caddy Fleetwood.

I'm learning... this is not a game for the faint of heart or light of wallet. The Ark rules. \m/
Email with Jenkins Interiors for a trunk kit, they gave me a price. I replied, "you know I only need 1, right?"

Here's some pics from today, they might post correctly, who knows... Isn't this FUN?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

6Fleetwood6

So very excited for you Laurie!  Looking forward to Cadillac Day!
Current
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
Past
1999 Deville Concours
2006 STS4

Highwayman68

This is going to be a fun thread to follow.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on February 22, 2022, 08:36:58 AM
This is going to be a fun thread to follow.

Mark we're FBook friends, aren't all my threads fun to follow? ROTFLMAO!

The Man and I were talking at 0200 this morning, we saw each other's green lights on on FBook. He and
his crew are pretty excited about the car, warm and fuzzy.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

David King (kz78hy)

Enjoy the process and allow it to get you the car you want.  Don't rush it no matter the self imposed deadline, you will regret it later.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

59-in-pieces

Hey Sis,

Gr8 2 C U posting again.

What, nobody likes U - well yur bro will always.

Quite an admission that yur JUST A GIRL & had 2 call a big strong guy to move the snow - ONLY KIDDING, U ROCKER.

I 2 enjoy yur posts and yur way with the words - most active and in 2 the hobby member I know.
THERE SHOULD BE AN AWARD.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Butchman
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Dudes and dudettes....
I can't believe how much work has been done in 36 hours. At this rate the car should be done Sunday.
I'm kidding. Sort of.

The Man took me on a FB messenger live video tour late today. JEEZ!
All the jewelry is off, the rear bumper already has the replacement lower right piece on with lense and bezel...
Half the paint is off...

The only surprise was some thingy in front near the radiator whoseewhatza that needs to be welded, needs parts
welded, or something... and new thingies to bolt it back onto the thingofamagig.

If I get too technical, let me know and I'll type slower.

All the stainless, I think some of the chrome, is going to His Guy to be fixed, straightened, shined, polished, whatever.

Since I want all the doors taken apart and the window tracks cleaned and regreased, MAY AS WELL change out all the
cigarette lighters since none of them work. My drivers lighter works, Charles Fares (RIP) sent me a literally brand new socket and lighter. Michael installed it. Being able to charge my phone in my car was a quality of life improvement you
can't imagine. Source for sockets and lighters? Anyone? forget eBay.. I should probably test the sockets with a working
lighter first, too bad I took it out of the car and its here.

May as well do the package shelf, since mine is 53 and looks like it.
May as well do the trunk kit too. Do you know how much those are from Jenkins? Are you kidding?

The Man will be right on with his estimate. I'm the one who will blow it up with the MAY AS WELLS....

Larz Anderson  Cadillac Day  May 15th  Be There

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on February 22, 2022, 12:51:10 PM
Hey Sis,

Gr8 2 C U posting again.

What, nobody likes U - well yur bro will always.

Quite an admission that yur JUST A GIRL & had 2 call a big strong guy to move the snow - ONLY KIDDING, U ROCKER.

I 2 enjoy yur posts and yur way with the words - most active and in 2 the hobby member I know.
THERE SHOULD BE AN AWARD.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Butchman

LOVE YOU TOO BRO!
Yes, yours truly cried for help the night of the blizzard. I blew out my back on an apartment rental rehab I didn't have
to do in early January, pinched a nerve and I'm still crippled, chiro twice a week. I was in so much pain clearing snow I was
dizzy and crying. I tried to reach up to push the snow off the roof from the inside and almost passed out from the pain. It KILLED me to admit I physically couldn't do something, but I had to save The Lair. Called Michael, he was here in 30. God Bless him. 5 other people said "if you need help in the storm, call me!" I called them all first since I know Michael is busy. All 5 let my call go to voice mail, they knew. Michael? Answered his phone. Michael is a God. Michael is a *F*R*I*E*N*D*
Michael is The Ark's crew chief - greatness hangs together.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 6Fleetwood6 on February 22, 2022, 06:48:53 AM
So very excited for you Laurie!  Looking forward to Cadillac Day!

YAH BABY!
Is Ernie Boch having a thing before then? I haven't heard any whispers.
The puritans at the Hyannis Chamber of Commerce are considering having the Father's Day Car Show
this year. I can see this coming - the cars will have to be 20' apart and wrapped in plastic.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on February 22, 2022, 12:42:18 PM
Enjoy the process and allow it to get you the car you want.  Don't rush it no matter the self imposed deadline, you will regret it later.

I've heard that more than once David, well noted.
I'm also female, red headed, only child and Capricorn. So...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

I bought this on Amazon and mounted it under the front seat in the middle in the front so it can be reached while sitting in the drivers seat. I used the power feed for the front seat with it's own fuse to protect it. I will try to get a picture of installation and post it.

This keeps all of the charging cables some what hidden when leaving the phone on the seat or if you use a console on the transmission hump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACD3FS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on February 23, 2022, 08:28:00 AM
I bought this on Amazon and mounted it under the front seat in the middle in the front so it can be reached while sitting in the drivers seat. I used the power feed for the front seat with it's own fuse to protect it. I will try to get a picture of installation and post it.

This keeps all of the charging cables some what hidden when leaving the phone on the seat or if you use a console on the transmission hump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACD3FS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Mark, that's pretty cool! My phone is in a clip that's attached to the AC vent. I'm always using WAZE to get to a show
and I need to be able to see the map and hear the nice lady's voice.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Some more pics....

Grind, grind, grind -

The new paint is there. And I had a stroke, doesn't that look green?' Lost my mind on The Man.
He's like "its a dead match Laurie". To what? The old paint? To the brochure color which has been proven
to be wrong? I got all female on him. The car is up on a lift, the new body parts are under it being worked
on. I'm like "I see an 8' A-Frame in one of your pics. Go get it, open the trunk, and brush some paint beside
the tire changing decal, circle it, I *KNOW* that paint under the trunk hood is the correct 93. Take a pic and send
it to me."

Which he did, and its indeed a perfect match. Shows you how much that camera on your smart phone can distort
colors. My heart was pounding. All good now, really happy he did that for me.

And he'll probably never send me another picture, LMAO! Oh yes he will.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

So... your first reaction is never to nicely ask if they are doing it right LOL

Apparently he was prewarned by Michael  ;D

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on February 26, 2022, 08:03:39 AM
So... your first reaction is never to nicely ask if they are doing it right LOL

Apparently he was prewarned by Michael  ;D

More likely Gary... LOL!

Yes I can be harsh. Michael is immune to it by now. He just turns up the heavy metal blasting
through the shop's sound system when I "start"...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

79 Eldorado

Laurie,
It looks like they assumed you were keeping the same exterior color of the prior re-paint and they matched it as opposed to matching the original exterior color which, as you pointed out, could be found under the trunk lid.

So I guess the idea is you're going back to the original color... I didn't read every detail so maybe I missed it if you mentioned it earlier.

Scott

chrisntam

I'd suggest he spray some for you to see how it looks. Better to tweak it now than after it's been applied.  Every paint manufacturer's formulas can be a little different from factory and each other.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

79 Eldorado

Quote from: chrisntam on February 26, 2022, 11:35:52 PM
I'd suggest he spray some for you to see how it looks. Better to tweak it now than after it's been applied.  Every paint manufacturer's formulas can be a little different from factory and each other.
Good to get a spray-out but I suspect the painter is likely using a scanning paint match system and maybe tweaking. The photo above shows some of the paint they mixed on the paint under the trunk. At least in the photo it matches well.

I personally like going with the original or a modern take on original but I was a little surprised by the choice because the current color seems to have been part of the personality.