News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Antenna Vacuum Lines

Started by J. Russo, October 31, 2022, 09:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I have a vacuum antenna on my Series 63. I recently removed and cleaned it while I'm doing other work under the car. I reviewed several posts but didn't see info related to what I am looking for.

The brass fittings on the antenna had no vacuum lines attached. Can anyone tell me where these lines connect?

There is also what looks like a wire attached to the antenna cable. Not sure if it is in fact a wire or if it's just used to hold the cable in a certain spot on the firewall.

If the vacuum lines connect to the radio it's probably a moot point as I recently had my radio rebuilt with modern components.

Input is much appreciated.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Tom Boehm

Contact Dennis Buchholz at buchholz001@bellsouth.net. He is a CLC member in Louisville who has experience with these and restored some for club members. He may be able to answer your question.

wheikkila

Good Evening
Your wire from the antenna runs to the radio. On the left side of the dash you should have a push/pull switch to send vacuum to the antenna. Looking under the dash it should be easy to see. Your vacuum should come in from the firewall on the drivers side and t off. One goes to the wipers and the other to your antenna. I hopes this helps out.
 Thanks Wayne   

J. Russo

Quote from: wheikkila on October 31, 2022, 07:29:56 PMGood Evening
Your wire from the antenna runs to the radio. On the left side of the dash you should have a push/pull switch to send vacuum to the antenna. Looking under the dash it should be easy to see. Your vacuum should come in from the firewall on the drivers side and t off. One goes to the wipers and the other to your antenna. 

Wayne,

I've had my dash taken out and reinstalled with a new wiring harness and never saw a push pull switch.

Also, my wipers work off vacuum from the fuel pump.

Is the push/pull switch you mention the source that creates the vacuum for the antenna?
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

wheikkila

Yes, mine was by the headlight switch. But I have a 40 LaSalle. But looking at the 41 dash. There is a switch on the left side and one on the right by the start button. I hope this helps.
 Thanks Wayne   

Chris Cummings

The standard arrangement for 1941 was that the power antenna was operated by the left-hand knob on the radio -- push in to raise the antenna, and pull out to lower it.  Three ports on the left-hand side of the radio accommodated a vacuum line from the engine (center port), and two lines to the antenna (one to raise it and one to lower it).  Since you have a replacement radio installed, maybe you can locate or fabricate a push-pull switch to direct vacuum to the upper and lower fittings on your antenna assembly?  Your fourth photo shows the grounding fitting for the braided shielding that covers your antenna cable.

Hope that helps.

Chris Cummings

J. Russo

Chris,

Thanks for the input. This is making more sense As I read each response. The only difference from what you describe is if the left side you mention is the driver side of the radio when it is installed in the dash.

Is the engine center port you mentioned the port to the intake manifold? That is currently connected to my fuel pump. My wipers operate from the fuel pump vacuum.

The following is with my radio installed in the dash:

My radio has the 3 ports you mentioned, however they are on the glove box/right side of the radio. The knob on my radio that has the push/pull function is the volume knob. This is also on the glove box side of the radio. I checked with the radio rebuilder and he said the vacuum switch is still in the radio. Now the question is what vacuum source do I use? The only vacuum sources I know of are the line from the carburetor to the distributor and the line from the fuel pump to the wiper motor.

I would also be shocked if my antenna moves by vacuum. The brass fittings were packed with mud. The radio was also in really bad shape before I had it rebuilt. No telling how long ago they both worked.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Chris Cummings

Hi John,

My two 1941s (long since sold) did not have original vacuum plumbing.  I would suppose (and other '41 owners may feel free to correct me) that the vacuum for the radio antenna (as well as the vacuum for the window washer, if installed) would have been tapped from the vacuum line for the windshield wipers.  The radios in my cars had the three vacuum ports on the side closest to the driver.

Hope that helps.

Chris

J. Russo

Thanks Chris,

I definitely have a different radio configuration than you did. I don't have  a window washer bottle installed. I'll tap into the wiper vacuum to test this and update this post. It may be a while as I am in the middle of rust proofing and then applying a top coat on the underside of the car.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

UPDATE: I had my antenna repaired by Dennis Buchholz. Fortunately, he lives a couple miles from me.

I installed the antenna and tied the vacuum lines in with the wiper vacuum coming from the intake manifold.

The antenna vacuum connections are in my radio on the right/passenger side of the radio. It is controlled by push/pull of the volume button.

All good now. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828