News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 series 62 vacuum advance unit

Started by Julien Abrahams, February 01, 2023, 02:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

So, my ignition vacuum advance has decided to no longer hold vacuum. Most likely already kaput when I bought the car (you don't really notice anything while driving). I believe these units are no longer available.
Can these be rebuild? Any one now a place in Europe? I am in the Netherlands.
Thanks in advance.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, they can be rebuild. In Europe? I don't know. Terrill Machine in Texas can rebuild them, but they have a rather long delay.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

James Landi

Promise you, once you install a working vacuum advance, you'll notice the difference immediately, especially as you modulate the accelerator--- the engine will run much better from a dead stop, and when you initially start the car, it will sound "stronger."  As you stated, "you don't really notice anything while you're driving"--- and yes, the vacuum advance is essentially "at rest" when you're not engaging the traffic pump on the carburetor. You;ll also realize a fuel savings, and your engine's timing  will now be property tuned with the carburetor.  CHeck to see if  another model vacuum advance will fit your distributor...I have an old 8 cyclinder 65 year old obsolete boat motor with a Presolite distributor that called for a return spring inside of the advance--- the original replacement is not available, but I "rolled the dice" and matched up an advance that "fit" the distributor (holes for screws-- length of arm and bracket, etc.) I did the match using pictures and then parts specification as I narrowed down the selection process.   I had to create a shim that's a couple of millimeters of thickness to make all of the interior geometry line up.  Made my "work a round" in 2009, and that ancient engine starts and runs perfectly...  If you're up to being creative and have time to experiment, I think you can find a "near match" that can work.Hope this helps, James

Julien Abrahams

Thanks for the replies guys.
@Roger: What do you mean exactly with a long delay? Does it take weeks, months before they return the rebuild unit?

@James: Thank you for the tip. However, I believe that the vacuum units are not see easily interchanged as the advance curve needs to be similar to get optimum performance.

I have sent Terril Machine a message. Apparantly they do not have a website.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Roger Zimmermann

The last time I sent one, I got it back after about 2 months. By sending it now, you will get it just in time for the driving season!
This is correct, Terrill Machine has no website.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101