News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac repair woes

Started by billyoung, March 10, 2023, 07:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

I purchased 4 new tires online trying to conserve money as I haven't much. Huge mistake The Tires are Tornel (brand name) and turns out were made in Mexico. 3 of the 4 were so out of round that the car fairly skipped down the road. They sent me 3 more, just as bad as the first ones. I have now purchased 4 new Hankook tires from a reputable tire dealer here in town and am in a dispute with the supplier of the 7 bum Mexico made junk tires. Secondly I purchased 2 new front brake drums thru Rock Auto. I bought the most expensive ones from the choices available thinking I would be better off, WRONG, they turns out were made in China and I just had to have them turned as one was slightly out of round and the other badly out of round so add another $50.00 cost for that. The Man that turned my drums said don't expect much good from the brake shoes either as they are no longer asbestos. You know what I like best about the world today, Nothing.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

64\/54Cadillacking

The quality control, and generally workers having an horrible work ethic about making high quality products has deteriorated tremendously since covid. It's half corporate (penny pinching) and half cultural I believe.

Just take a look at all the recalls on new vehicles especially from Ford and GM. The new 2020-23 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3L V8 were having bent push rod issues for awhile. Fords eco-boost engines in general are garbage and now they are using plastic oil and transmission pans, including plastic oil drain plugs for cry sakes!

I mean how much worse and disposable are they building their vehicles these days?

It is so many things that are built like junk today. Unfortunately there's really nothing any of us can do about it. Possibly emailing the companies and complain to them about their poor quality made products, and simply never buy from them again might help, but even then the world is a vast place with millions upon millions of consumers in the U.S. that will continue to purchase poorly made products and might not say anything about it.

Parts quality have definitely taken a nose dive recently. Even basic stuff like spark plug wires seem less robust as if the material that some companies are using have been "thinned out" especially the boots. Suspension and steering components are also poorly made now. The rubber components such as control arm bushings seem to crack and deteriorate far sooner than you'd expect.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Be glad you got the Hancooks. I've tried to find them locally, but places have had trouble getting them.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Bill:

Unfortunately, brake drums are no longer being made by
anyone in the U.S.  Foundries no longer do these castings.
All of them are either made in China or India.  Your
best bet is to find a good set of used ones from a
recycling operation (junk yard).

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Landi

"...including plastic crank case oil drain plug..."

Yesterday, my mechanic was fussing with one of these plastic plugs, because he stripped the threads by "over torquing" it-- fortunately, he's a responsible, honest young man and didn't return the car to the owner . How many engines will be destroyed, how many law suits will occur, how much frustration and waste in order to save how many pennies per unit?  James

fishnjim

Covid disrupted a lot of the supply chains but the move to global supply started in the '80s.   Greedy business people thinking solely of the huge untapped market potential of Asia, got caught in the commie squeeze game. 
Check the speed rating on tires if you buy any foreign.   The cheapos don't have any, which is the minimum category of 88 mph max.. 
There was a set on the used boat I bought.  Looking in the rear view mirror I noticed the spare threads were wavy.  Not even a good spare.  Goodyear was out of stock for half a year on trailer tires.  They sold their old line of trailer tires that i used faithfully for 40 years to Mexico.  I bought one same brand higher grade to replace that spare until I could get a set of "good" tires.  That was ALL that was available in late '21.  I put 5 news ones on as soon as they were available.  Ride improved, not bouncing down the road.
"Saving" money is a misnomer.   Spend wisely, buy quality that lasts, it's cheaper in the long run.  What's the cost of one accident from those poor tires?  Saving is what you do when you put some in the bank.

jaxops

I wouldn't have recommended Hankook as they are made for euro-japan cars.  They're from South Korea.  Diamondback has a special Cadillac double-ring tire for your car, or a Coker, American Classic, or Diamondback Michelin tire.  They are expensive though.  I had Hankook's on my 1990 Grand Marquis and the car drove terribly. I immediately switched back to Michelin or Firestone and I had no further issues.  Just my experience.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

billyoung

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might have mentioned that money is an issue for me at age 68 and back working 6 days a week again. This latest fandango with the tires and drums cost me 2 weeks pay. I drive my 1968 as my every day car. I am slowly restoring it to a good driver. I wish I could afford the Diamondback tires mentioned, no dice. I bought the Cadillac for $8500.00 and it runs great has 108,000 on it and I Love driving it. I can drive it here all year round and I keep it in the garage at night. I looked at a 2017 Chevy Malibu last July with 70,000 mi. and dents that was $17,000.00 and said forget this and bought the DeVille Convertible with a home equity loan. Raggedy Ann is getting better by the week.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

35-709

Don't lament the lack of asbestos in your brakes, it (supposedly) hasn't been available for quite some time.   From the Los Angeles Times in 1991 ---
"Under federal law, asbestos brake production is supposed to stop in 1993 and auto manufacturers are supposed to stop using it in new cars by 1995. By 1997, all asbestos brake linings are supposed to be off store shelves and out of new cars." 

As to Chinese made drums and rotors, standard practice is to turn them right out of the box before installation.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Bill for a daily driver the Diamond Backs are over kill, I'd have gone with good Michelins.
All the parts are made in China, if you get them from Auto Zone or Rock Auto, they all come from
the same factories, and may need tweeking before use. Just the way it is now.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all