News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Casco Rear Seat cigar Lighter with Bayonet style fuse - 6 volt

Started by J. Russo, January 04, 2023, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

Looking for some help on what type of connector is used for the "Bayonet" style fuse used with casco rear seat cigar lighters. The original fuse on my 1941 Cadillac is threaded on both ends (male and female) but they are very hard to find.

The packaging for the bayonet style fuse says it is for Buick and Cadillac rear seat lighters through 1952. The diameter of the part of the fuse that gets inserted in the connector is 8.2 mm which is smaller that the BA9s (9mm) bayonet that is available online.

Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

I wanted to provide an update on this in case anyone experiences a similar scenario. Photos are attached.

I found the bayonet socket I was looking for on Ebay, but it was attached to a complete harness with lighters and other parts for $575. I also called multiple harness companies and wiring providers. None of them knew what I was asking for.

As a solution, I purchased BA9S bayonet sockets which are about 1mm larger in diameter than what the bayonet style fuse requires. I had to crimp the socket against the fuse to tighten. I also replaced the wire that came with the socket with 14 AWG wire. I then used the heat shrink material to tighten the connection further.

I can now use this for my rear seat cigar lighters. These bayonet style lock fuses are much easier to find than the fuses with the threaded end.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

fishnjim

So long as the amp rating is the same and it works, no issue. 
Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
Remember 6V takes twice as much amps as 12V to deliver the same power.  14 ga may not cut it.  12 ga is better, but may not get used much to where overheating becomes an issue.

J. Russo

The bayonet style fuse is 6 volts. I installed a new wiring harness in 2021. The harness maker used 14 gauge wire for the  cigar lighters. He claimed the original wiring was 16 gauge. That is why I used 14 gauge.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828