News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front Disc Brakes

Started by 49 Caddy, January 15, 2023, 11:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Just finished converting to front disc brakes on my 49 Series 61.  Original front wheels will not fit.  What year wheels do I have to order for the front now?  Wanting to order Vintique wire wheels.  I'm sure I am not the first to convert to disc brakes.

bcroe

Here the 11 and 12 in front rotors fit into
15 in rims.  I believe some of the first,
smaller front disc cars had 10.5 in rotors
in 14 in rims.  Not suitable for racing, but
good enough for me.  Bruce Roe

62 driver

Quote from: 49 Caddy on January 15, 2023, 11:10:19 AMJust finished converting to front disc brakes on my 49 Series 61.  Original front wheels will not fit.  What year wheels do I have to order for the front now?  Wanting to order Vintique wire wheels.  I'm sure I am not the first to convert to disc brakes.

I used a 1/8" spacer and ground the calipers spots that rubbed. It worked on my 1962 with both stock rims and 40 spoke wire wheels.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

bcroe

Quote from: 62 driver on January 15, 2023, 06:53:32 PMI used a 1/8" spacer and ground the calipers spots that rubbed. It worked on my 1962 with both stock rims and 40 spoke wire wheels.

That is what I would try first.  Bruce Roe

walt chomosh #23510

49 Caddy,
  I put a set of spoked wheels on my 1955 CDV and did have to machine a spacer so both my original steel wheels and my Mac Daddy (USA made) wheels would clear the calipers. I chose not to grind on the calipers but there was plenty of meat on them so I believe I could have went that route. I generally don't like to make changes from original that engineers spent a lot of time designing. My calipers were from an Cadillac Eldorado. The rotors are Chevy truck.....walt...tulsa,ok

62 driver

Sharp trailer and car! I purchased my spacer off eBay for $10. each. Dave

fishnjim

That's one to ask the kit vendor. 
If it was off another car, then that year/model should do. 

This is common as the drum was made to fit the wheel space. 
When I changed to dual brake system, I left the drums to use the stock rims to avoid this.   Drums worked adequately unless your road racing, as long as they're kept adjusted, pre-self adjusters.

bcroe

Quote from: fishnjimDrums worked adequately unless your road racing, as long as they're kept adjusted, pre-self adjusters.

My 62 drums worked great most of the time.  After driving
through a huge flooded pothole, and emergency braking
threw me into the median, I got rid of everything that
did not have discs in the front.  Bruce Roe

49 Caddy

Have already tried going thru the Vendor, (Auto City Classics), & they were supposed to send me a correct spindle bearing spacer but they never did.  Ended up making my own.  Supposed to be a direct fit conversion!  Don't figure I will get any further with this question.  They couldn't even tell me what brake pads I needed when they have to be replaced. 

62 driver

My brakes pads are for a 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity.

jwwseville60

My 63 has stock wheels.
I used the Caddy Daddy front disc kit and its worked quite well.
Or you can go with a Wilwood setup...but thats a bit more work.

I live near the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains with long steep grades.
Discs will save your bacon!

Alway remember to pull off and let any brake setup cool down on mountain roads.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC