News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Climate Control Programmer-odd issue

Started by CadillacFlashback, January 22, 2023, 05:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFlashback

When I first start my '78 Seville and place the head unit on Economy or any of the Auto settings, the system defaults to blowing cold AC air at high fan speed out of the dash vents regardless on the temp (fan will blow low speed on Lo setting).  If I jiggle the harness plug where the wiring connects to the programmer (passenger kick panel area) the system will immediately start working properly as to temperature, fan speed, and air distribution.  If I turn the car off and return in a short time it will continue to work properly, but if it sits for a longer time if always goes back to needing the "jiggle". I dont drive the car every day but it is the same drill every time I do.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?  The wiring and connections at the programmer all look great.
Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

benji808

A "jiggle" fix is kind of textbook bad connection. I would pull the plug, inspect each prong individually, and spray a bunch of contact cleaner on both sides of the connection. To go further you could jump the connections and/or install a new plug. If that doesn't solve then either the jiggle is coincidental, or it's shaking something further up in the system, which you may be able to control for by how and where you jiggle it.

bcroe

If the original connector cannot be restored, you
might solder wires onto each side of a connection,
and run them thru a new connector that has noble
metal contacts, and enough current capacity. Leave
the original in place.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Seville Life

It can be a good idea regarding all electrical contacts to disconnect them and clean both sides with Scotchbrite, then coat them them a dielectric grease and re-connect.

They'll never play up again. I bought some excellent Permatex dielectric grease.

The Climate Control wiring for the sensors and temperature dial connections need to be right because they transmit an ohms voltage to the Programmer which provides the correct temperature air flow. I did mine and the system operates superbly. Paul
Paul Bedford