News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering column paint: Gold Bronze Dulux YM327k

Started by Kirksallas@me.com, August 01, 2022, 02:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirksallas@me.com

Does anyone know how I can go about purchasing Gold Bronze Dulux paint color YM327K for the steering column for a 1941 Series 62?
Thanks in advance..

J. Russo

This is more of a word of warning from my experience trying to find the right color for my 1941 Series 63 which also calls for the color you mentioned.

I found a website that had what I thought was a pretty good match of the original color based on the color sample. The link is below.

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/414719-glidden-wgy03-golden-bronze

However, you will see from the before and after photos I included that the color does not match the sample. My steering column and heater turned out fine IMO, just not a perfect match.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Kirksallas@me.com

Thank you, John. Your car looks great though...good job.

J. Russo

Kirk,

Your post motivated me to do what I meant to do a while ago. I called the company that I mentioned above to report my concern that what I ordered didn't closely match what I received.

They said not to go by the color that shows up on their website (which is hard to understand). They use the original manufacturer color books to do their color matching based on the product code. If they can't find the original color code, customers send them a part that has the color you want duplicated and they will try to match it. They will tell you right away if they can't do it. That is something you could consider if you can't find the original product.

Their primer and paint seems to be of good quality and has held up well although its only been a year and a half for me. One thing I didn't do is clear coat my steering column. I'm not sure if that is something that affects authenticity guidelines or not. If I had to do it over again I would add that to the list.

John

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Tom Boehm

Hello Kirk, In my experience there is no easy solution to this situation. Information published about paint colors when the cars were new is almost meaningless now. If the company is still around they no longer make the same pigments or paint resins so even if you find an old formula it is useless now.
     I think one has to find the cleanest spot on a part and have it matched locally to get the most accurate results. My experience is that not all auto paint stores are willing to put the time in to get a good match. The color you are trying to match has metallic powder in it so you must use auto paint. The interior colors on my Lasalle were not metallic so I had them matched in oil base paint at a "brushes and rollers" paint store. They match paint every day and are more willing to do it.