News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 62 series Questions

Started by Vonblack, August 12, 2022, 04:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonblack

Hello all,
   I've been reading on the forums about old cadillacs. My Uncle who passed away last year bought a '41 (I believe it's a 62 series) back in 1950 and now my cousin would like me to get it running, as it seems I'm the only mechanically inclined person under 70, tho my passion is a 79 C3 corvette  LOL. the "Caddy" had sat for  about 5 years (best guess) I went to look at it and here what I know:  the engine is a flathead and the fan can be turned by hand so does not seem to be seized up, open the tail light and the gas smells fine. the car rolls easy and the brakes are pumped up. did not try to start it as I'm unsure of the battery. If I understand it right it's 12volt positive ground? (does not look like it's converted) and has an "oil bath" breather? anyway before I start working on this I'm looking for resources, information and any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW  the car is in excellent condition and has been garage kept it's whole life.Resized_20220808_103235.JPGResized_20220808_103351.JPG    thx in advance!

The Tassie Devil(le)

That battery is 6 Volt.   As is the electrics on these vehicles, and Positive Ground.

A 12 Volt Battery will have 6 screw caps.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Joe Jensen

I would suggest you start with the following
1. drain the fuel and start with new fuel.
2. Change the oil
3. Rebuild the carburetor and change fuel filter
4. Drain coolant and refill
5. Turn the engine over by hand (ratchet or breakerbar on the crank bolt).
I would do the above before I tried to use the starter.
You will likely need to deal with ignition components (coil, points, spark plugs).
If you have a hydra-matic you will want to check that you have fluid in the transmission.

I am sure others could add to the list but this will get you started.

Best of luck!

Please give us an updated on your progress.

Joe

Willbarq

I hope you can post pictures of the whole car. I've my eye on this year. The best bet on getting it running is a factory service manual. Those things are worth their weight in gold.....to the right person

J. Russo

From my own personal experience.

In addition to everything mentioned in this post, I recommend the following before attempting to drive:

Since these engines don't have an oil filter, I would remove the oil pan after draining and clean the pan. The old oil does not completely drain by just removing the drain plug. Oil pan gaskets are available online.
Open the brake master cylinder and see what the brake fluid looks like.
Remove all the wheel hubs and check the brake cylinders, shoes, drums and bearings.
Bleed all of the old brake fluid and refill with new fluid.
Test the emergency brake.

Before starting the engine:

Clean the oil bath air filter before using it with the engine running.
Remove and check all of the spark plugs. Clean, reset the gap or replace as needed.

Note: If the car has radial tires they are probably bad from the car sitting so long. My 1941 Series 63 had radials and sat for over 6 years. 3 of the 4 tires split open once I started driving the car. I'm not sure what happens to bias ply tires when they sit for a long period of time.

Electrical:
Don't assume everything works. My Cadillac was a fire trap because the wiring was so old. I had exposed wires touching metal and things like the radio started smoking when I turned it on.
Test each component individually to insure they work. If you smell burning, smoke or the device simply doesn't work, you'll know there's a problem.

John

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Tom Boehm

Hello D, 6 volt systems work well but their vulnerability is dirt, rust, and paint on the electrical contacts. The starter in a 6volt system will not turn the engine over as fast as a modern car. BUT If the starter is turning over really slow, clean off the electrical connections at both ends of the battery cables, both ends of the ground straps from the frame to the engine, and the starter connections.

Also: After 5 years sitting that battery is dead. I got a six volt battery for my Lasalle from a Batteries Plus store.

And Those battery cables appear OK but if you change them for some reason get the thickest you can find. Don't use cables intended for 12 volt systems. The cable is too thin.