News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 62, for sale in MA, comments?

Started by Jw4, November 18, 2022, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jw4

And one more:

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/acton-for-sale-1955-cadillac-model-62/7554332123.html
1955 Cadillac model 62 4 door sedan (11,234 original miles)

Mint interior (Gray)
Mint Exterior (Black)
Chrome is very good with a few specks on Bumpers
New Battery
Original Owner is from Fitchburg Ma per slip in engine compartment ( Not sure if my dad bought it from him or maybe a second owner)
Currently cranks but has not started - need to try again with starting fluid
Clear Massachusetts Title
Comes with owners manual, shop Manual and other documentation

Price - $29,500

If it truly is only 11k miles (and not 111k), than it must be all original, interior and exterior, and without any modern parts. Currently outside of my budget, especially considering the plane tickets and towing cost, but who knows, maybe the price will go a bit down with time.
Anyone in MA interested in checking it out?  ;)
Ivan Beliaev

wheikkila

If the car has been sitting for a while. I would not use starting fluid. I would disconnect the fuel line and put fuel in the bowl through the vent. Make sure you have spark.
 Thanks Wayne

Jw4

Wayne, you are right. That comment about the fluid, at the end, also got me a bit worried  ;D
Sounds a little like, maybe, the person in charge do not exactly know what they are doing. Anyway, if it has been sitting for a while (and who knows how long) it could need major work before it can be driveable, despite the low mileage.
Ivan Beliaev

Scott Nellis

I'm sure we all cringed when we read about the torture that will ensue with ether at some point. That is the worst thing for that poor engine that has been sitting for god knows how long. As was mentioned, checking for spark and a remote source of fresh gas would be a great place to start. I get the impression that it was the seller's father's car and he is now either deceased or incapacitated. If this is the case then some valuable information has surely been lost. Unfortunately the seller may do damage to the car unknowingly and unintentionally before it is finally sold. It looks really good from the limited angles and photos. Someone really needs to check this one out. If the seller is motivated, then they may take far less than the asking price. There is a big difference between a car that has been sitting for 6 months and one that has been sitting for 10 years. Far more information is needed to proceed and plan any long distance trip to see it. I would suggest compiling a list of questions and then contacting the seller by phone. Try to make a thorough list so you aren't constantly calling back with further questions. 
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

James Landi

Ivan,  One way to verify the mileage is by way of a CLC member who can tell you if the upholstery is  the original material.  That fabric could not survive 111,000 miles and look that good! I also concur with the two previous comments--- call that guy up and tell him NOT to attempt to start it with ether.   There are dozens of Youtube videos that deal with the appropriate process for starting slumbering engines.   James 

jdemerson

Thanks for posting -- an interesting car with unknowns, yet the possibility that it could be a true survivor and candidate for "Preservation" status.

Does anyone see in the (not so clear) photos anything that is not original? Am I wrong to suspect that the "11 K original miles" is in fact real?

Has anyone in the CLC actually seen this car? If so, what is your assessment?

John Emerson

PS. This 62 Sedan is the only 1955 model that is just 216 inches long -- an advantage for many garages, and (with the high trunk lid) quite attractive in my book. I understand that most would much prefer a Fleetwood model...
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Linda198

Hi,

I am the owner of this Caddy. Let me step in here and clarify that this is an original 11,234 mile automobile. My dad bought it in 1997 from the original Massachusetts owner - I have documentation to prove this. If anyone wants to come view the car let me know. You will not be disappointed. Don't worry -  I will not try to start the car!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Linda198 on November 21, 2022, 08:52:59 AMHi,

I am the owner of this Caddy. Let me step in here and clarify that this is an original 11,234 mile automobile. My dad bought it in 1997 from the original Massachusetts owner - I have documentation to prove this. If anyone wants to come view the car let me know. You will not be disappointed. Don't worry -  I will not try to start the car!

I would suggest getting hold of someone with experience with older cars to get the car in running order. It's going to be very difficult getting anywhere near your asking price for a '55 Series 62 Sedan with mechanical condition unknown. This year & model would have to be zero excuses, top shelf in all ways to command anything close to $30K.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 21, 2022, 12:50:05 PMI would suggest getting hold of someone with experience with older cars to get the car in running order. It's going to be very difficult getting anywhere near your asking price for a '55 Series 62 Sedan with mechanical condition unknown. This year & model would have to be zero excuses, top shelf in all ways to be worth anything close to $30K.   

Eric is correct. Could be an example of the "Cadillac curse" at work, where the name Cadillac inflates the price to levels not sustained by the market (where similar vintage Chevys are often worth more-go figure). To me these old Cads should be worth a lot more, but that is preaching to the choir. It also is a 4 door car, which significantly impacts value in a negative way. I never quite got that, (I prefer 4 doors), but the market place has spoken. Still, a potentially fantastic project for someone. Clay/Lexi

Jw4

Quote from: jdemerson on November 21, 2022, 08:09:09 AMHas anyone in the CLC actually seen this car? If so, what is your assessment?

John, you are just a few hours away from Acton. Very similar distance to the one I drove to see that other Cad, a week ago. Besides, there is, what looks like a previous model Cad in the background (although, apparently not for sale) so you can actually see two cars at once! This could be a very exciting road trip for the long thanksgiving weekend!  ;)

Quote from: Linda198 on November 21, 2022, 08:52:59 AMI am the owner of this Caddy.

That checks out, since I shared the link to this thread with Ms. Jensen.

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 21, 2022, 12:50:05 PMI would suggest getting hold of someone with experience with older cars to get the car in running order.

This will definitely cost money. The car would preferably have to be towed to a shop for a complete inspection and service, since I was informed that it was sitting for 6 years, now. And it would not just be any shop... The same is probably applicable to the garage DIY mechanics... I suspect that this is not necessarily something one would like to do when they are actually looking to sell the car. It could be just as cost-effective to wait for the right buyer to take it as is. Maybe.

Quote from: Lexi on November 21, 2022, 01:48:19 PMI never quite got that, (I prefer 4 doors), but the market place has spoken. Still, a potentially fantastic project for someone.

I concur, and also prefer the 4-doors model, at this time. If I was closer, I would definitely go see it in no time. Especially, since I wanted a black one. Not sure about the price, though. Sure, this is just a regular Series 62. But there does not seem to be a lot to choose from, right now. I am not seeing many of these for sale, at least by private owners. Plenty of Chevys, on the other hand  :D

I would personally prefer a car with unknown mechanical condition, instead of the one with rusted rockers. The main disadvantage of this one, in my opinion, is no AC (I am not seeing any vents). Other than that, I suspect that it would need at least a) all fluids changed b) borescope block and head inspection c) all hydraulics disassembly and inspection, before it can be road-tested. And probably, most of the rubber parts, which have not already been replaced in the recent past, would also have to go soon.

Ivan Beliaev

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jw4 on November 21, 2022, 05:27:14 PMThis will definitely cost money. The car would preferably have to be towed to a shop for a complete inspection and service, since I was informed that it was sitting for 6 years, now. And it would not just be any shop... The same is probably applicable to the garage DIY mechanics... I suspect that this is not necessarily something one would like to do when they are actually looking to sell the car. It could be just as cost-effective to wait for the right buyer to take it as is. Maybe.

Seller's looking for #1 money for a non running car. Not realistic.

Better model, high equipment original just sold $26,400 last month at Hershey RM sale.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf22/hershey/lots/r0007-1956-cadillac-sixty-special-fleetwood-sedan/1246260

Quote from: Jw4 on November 21, 2022, 05:27:14 PMI would personally prefer a car with unknown mechanical condition, instead of the one with rusted rockers.

I totally agree there.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Linda198

Hi,

The other car in the photo is a 1949 Fleetwood. Also have a 1938 LaSalle 4 door - both are also for sale

James Landi

It's good that the owner is on the thread. Here's my cautionary story: About 15 years ago, Kristina and I looked at a model 62 with a/c that was priced at 11k and had around 30k miles. Having owned 2 of these back in the mid-60s, I was enthusiastic about having one again--these were "cars of my youth"--both those cars were "lookers" then--- they stand tall, proud, and provide a wonderful ride. I especially like the short deck models, so we went for a test drive, and then took it for an inspection--- one of wheel bearings was obviously shot, the drive shaft universals were in need of replacement, the front end needed a new pitman arm and idler arm--likely decades old grease and not being properly service... the deal breaker was the high acid content in the coolant-- the man who inspected the car said that it was likely no one had changed the fluid in decades, so the engine's freeze plugs and heater cores (two on the kick panels) and radiator were subject to leaking.  The other issue was the sad condition of the instrument panel where oxidation had taken its toll over time, as the car was stored in an unheated garage in eastern PA. All this is to say that a very close inspection would save a potential purchaser a world of pain. On the plus side, how many of these Cadillacs have such low mileage?  All of my unsolicited comments are respectfully offered.  A suggestion: determine a price, have a thorough inspection performed, and if there are hidden issues, discount the price.  The car appears to be a wonderful time capsule.  I hope a CLC member buys it.     Respectfully James

Cadillac Jack 82

IDK that interior is BEAUTIFUL!  Good luck with the sale.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper