News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Good Auction Venue for 1940 Cad LaSalle

Started by tom@lempicke.com, October 02, 2019, 08:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom@lempicke.com

I have a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle sedan convertible.  It is the last one built, No. 125.  1940 is also the last year that LaSalle built a sedan convertible.  So it is the Last of the Last.  Nicely restored and drives great.  New radiator so does not overheat.
Where would be a good auction to put this in to?  I live in South Carolina and have been thinking about the Mecum Auction, but I have been poorly treated by him in the past.
Any good ideas?

Dan LeBlanc

The auction house that would get you the most bang for the buck is directly related to the overall grade of the car, if you choose to go that route.  Hard to tell from just one picture.

Why not just list it in the Self Starter or Hemmings before going down that road?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Vince Taliano #13852

Great advice plus list it here.  I listed a 1940 LaSalle Convertible Sedan for a member on this site plus another CLC-related  website and publication and it sold.   
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

My opinion - ebay often fetches more money for the same car than in-person auctions. This is especially true for special interest pre-war classics which in my opinion don't seem bring the most at live auctions these days where buyers seem to be more focused on muscle cars. Ebay reaches a much wider audience as well.

The better the quality of the presentation the better the results so make certain to provide plenty of high resolution detail images. That means close ups of the areas buyers would want to examine like the door jambs, body seams, interior items etc. A bunch of exterior shots from 15' aren't going to be much use in assessing the quality of the restoration work.

If unable, hire a professional to do the photo shoot and set up the listing for you. It'll be well worth it and will be a whole lot less expensive than the fees you'll be charged when selling at in-person auction.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Jack 82

Id say Ebay.  I've had some issues dealing with my 1957 but when I sold my 1937 it was a quick and easy transaction.  Ebay only charges you 125 after the car is sold.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

GBrown #8092

Related question: How do you handle payment for an e-bay sale?  Pay pal is too easy to reverse, cashiers checks can be counterfeit, and no one is coming to your house with $20k in cash.

Glenn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Pay Pal for deposit only - usually $500.

There's no issue with checks so long as it's understood that the property will not be released before the funds have cleared. This is also specified by eBay when seller approves check (personal, cashier or otherwise) as an acceptable payment method. Few distant buyers will be able to make transport arrangements before that time anyway so usually a non-issue.

Lastly there's wire transfer.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bobby B

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on October 06, 2019, 01:13:22 PM
And no one is coming to your house with $20k in cash......

Why Not, and what makes you think that ?
                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

With inflation, GOVCO needs to start issuing $500 bills. 

If carrying $20k in 100s, the seller will say to the buyer, "is that the cash in your pocket or are you that happy to see the car?"

;D

200 $100 bills = $20k
40 $500 bills = $20k

Much more manageable when paying cash....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

GBrown #8092

Bobby, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. Maybe others are.

GBrown

chrisntam

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on October 06, 2019, 05:39:37 PM

GBrown

Richard Rawlins does it on TVs "Fast & Loud", but then there are prolly 10 guys with 4 cameras lurking around.

;)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on October 06, 2019, 05:39:37 PM

I've carried way more than that. If nobody knew you were carrying, you're safe. The destination could be another story. Paid an off duty officer once when it was an extreme amount, and all went well. If you keep your cool, you're golden.....
                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH