News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

water pump

Started by 67caddyLA, October 03, 2022, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67caddyLA

where are you getting water pumps?

I cant find one for my 1967 Deville convertible

Help appreciated
Ryan Zeimen
1967 Cadillac Deville Topless

dochawk

I found a few vendors claiming to have tin google shopping. 

struck out on amazon, Walmart, rock auto, and o'reilley
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Piening2150

This is where I ordered one for my '61. Price was good compared to other places and it was new (not rebuilt). Shipping was reasonably quick. So far it works great but it's only been on the car a couple months and only has a few miles on it so I can't comment on longevity.

https://oldpartssource.com/product/wp777/
1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 window

Michael Petti

Have you considered rebuilding the one you have? Anything new is probably made in China so longevity could be an issue.

David Greenburg

X2 for what Michael said. I'm not that familiar w/ the 429, but there have been problems with the "new" 390 pumps that are all over the 'net.  I'd much prefer getting the original rebuilt.  There are several good rebuilders out there. Same is true for fuel pumps.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

fishnjim

Interesting how they price these.  A repro averages less money than a rebuilt(?) and rebuild kits are less than the repro.  Prices all over the map too, so you can't go by price to ensure quality.
Just make sure you have access to the right tools to rebuild, if DIY, as I had to go to machine shop to get the seal surface trued and replacement impeller cut down.  Likely will need a press.   May sound good/cheaper, but not as straight forward as it seems and the cash out money will draw the eye to it.  Eventually, they'll make some good repro ones but no quality controls with mom and pop internet parts dealer.  Stick with the larger dealers/makers if you do.  Almost no one warranties the labor, if you get a bad one, so take that into consideration as well.
When I went through this a while ago for '58, the repros were out of stock, so I had no choice, but the rebuild kits were just as messed up as the pumps and consumed 3 before I got it to work right.  So I was under water on cost.  Next time the housing will be eaten enough to not be usable as is.  I suspect there's only one or two Chinese foundries making castings, but a fairly lucrative black market over there.  Lots of knock offs and factory stolen goods.  I was at a street market over there and you could buy any name brand logo coat, for $2 over.   Whether or not is was authentic is another question.

67caddyLA

Quote from: Michael Petti on October 04, 2022, 07:28:03 AMHave you considered rebuilding the one you have? Anything new is probably made in China so longevity could be an issue.

Well after putting some wrong ones that don't work, decided to send mine to a guy in NJ to rebuild. He was saying 66-67 guys don't return the core, so he has none to sell.

I sent him mine, and it will take 10 days to get it back. This is the guy I sent it to https://www.antiquecadillacparts.net/cadillac-water-pumps-and-related-parts/

First pic is the wrong one.

Second and third pic is what I had - that is out for rebuild now.

IMG_8418.jpgIMG_2160.jpgIMG_1482.jpg   
Ryan Zeimen

bcroe

Earlier in the previous century, I bought a
generic rebuilt water pump for a 68.  I expected
it to have the same new moving parts as new.

I replace pumps at about 60,000 miles, to avoid
any over the road failures.  But failed in
20,000 miles. Then I found out, rebuilders only
replace the parts that have already failed, not
ALL the bearings and seals into an original
casting.  They defeated my failure avoidance
plan, so from that point on I only bought new
water pumps. 

Sending an individual unit to a rebuilder you
know, might avoid this problem.  Bruce Roe

67caddyLA

Quote from: bcroe on October 15, 2022, 11:57:19 AMEarlier in the previous century, I bought a
generic rebuilt water pump for a 68.  I expected
it to have the same new moving parts as new.

I replace pumps at about 60,000 miles, to avoid
any over the road failures.  But failed in
20,000 miles. Then I found out, rebuilders only
replace the parts that have already failed, not
ALL the bearings and seals into an original
casting.  They defeated my failure avoidance
plan, so from that point on I only bought new
water pumps. 

Sending an individual unit to a rebuilder you
know, might avoid this problem.  Bruce Roe

Thanks Bruce - I will tell the rebuilder your concern

Hope they fix it all
Ryan Zeimen

SteveB3155

Arthur Gould Rebuilders in Massachusetts does a great job rebuilding water and fuel pumps.  http://vintageautopumps.parkerspackards.com/contact.html
1961 Series 62 Convertible

67caddyLA

Thanks Steve. Hope the guy I found does a good job.
Ryan Zeimen

Highwayman68

The Flying Dutchman in Oregon rebuilt 2 of my 68 water pumps. He did a great job and was quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DPbV7kjss

Flying Dutchman Rebuilt Reconditioned Water Pumps
 WATER PUMPS

Tony Coenradi, 200 Davis Creek Road, Selma, OR  97538 USA

In the U.S., call toll free 1(888)595-1110
Outside the U.S., call 1-541-597-4057
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

67caddyLA

Quote from: Highwayman68 on October 18, 2022, 03:48:27 PMThe Flying Dutchman in Oregon rebuilt 2 of my 68 water pumps. He did a great job and was quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DPbV7kjss

Flying Dutchman Rebuilt Reconditioned Water Pumps
 WATER PUMPS

Tony Coenradi, 200 Davis Creek Road, Selma, OR  97538 USA

In the U.S., call toll free 1(888)595-1110
Outside the U.S., call 1-541-597-4057

Definitely will have to keep it for my future use, as that is a lot closer to me.

Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

I just have bad luck with this car

AFter a long rebuild. She is back on the road. Have been enjoying her with new motor, new recored radiator, all new parts.

Well after highway drive, dumped a huge amount of coolant. Filled It. Few more drives, more coolant dumped from passenger side front.

Investigation leads to weep hole water pump leaking. Of course this is the reputable rebuilt one from the caddy website.   Rebuilder is not responding.

I looked at OPG - they have one coming in like 6 weeks. They said it is same as as original.

Car is again in drivway til I get the part

SIGH
Ryan Zeimen

fishnjim

Sorry to hear of your nagging woes.  Part of the "fun" of owning a "dyno-soar".
Make sure when you get the next pump installed you are careful to get all the air out of the coolant system.   Some of these cars need a bit of persuasion to get the block full. Not saying that happened, just alerting to common issues.  A radiator pressure tester or vacuum pump will help just don't go over the cap pressure rating, negative or positive.   Air pockets cause boil overs and can damage the seal.
I suspect it's the seal, that's what the weep hole is for, as they substitute the available parts that fit but may or may not be designed for automotive coolant service.   I know they used a pool pump seal in one of the kits I received as the OEM is no longer made. It did not last. Unfortunately, the pump designs are not seal change friendly like one would find in ANSI or industrials.  Something that should be accomplished without removal takes a lot of effort.  That's part of funding the dealer service with these cars.  Designed for ease of production, not maintenance/operating costs.

okccadman

I just ordered a new one for my 66 from Kanter.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

67caddyLA

Quote from: fishnjim on November 22, 2022, 09:20:17 AMSorry to hear of your nagging woes.  Part of the "fun" of owning a "dyno-soar".
Make sure when you get the next pump installed you are careful to get all the air out of the coolant system.   Some of these cars need a bit of persuasion to get the block full. Not saying that happened, just alerting to common issues.  A radiator pressure tester or vacuum pump will help just don't go over the cap pressure rating, negative or positive.   Air pockets cause boil overs and can damage the seal.
I suspect it's the seal, that's what the weep hole is for, as they substitute the available parts that fit but may or may not be designed for automotive coolant service.   I know they used a pool pump seal in one of the kits I received as the OEM is no longer made. It did not last. Unfortunately, the pump designs are not seal change friendly like one would find in ANSI or industrials.  Something that should be accomplished without removal takes a lot of effort.  That's part of funding the dealer service with these cars.  Designed for ease of production, not maintenance/operating costs.
Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated.  Yeah did a radiator pressure check, and the cap is fine.

Rebuilder decided to send me the "wrong" new one, and I can keep one hole plugged. Of course they want my original one back.
Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Hi guys,

Back again. 2 water pumps later, water pumps keep leaking every few months. I am at a wits end with the water pump leak.

Does anyone make a water pump for a 67 Deville that is actually good and doesn't leak? Please help.
Ryan Zeimen

TJ Hopland

Are you able to pin down where the leak is?   Has it been the same place with all your pumps including the 'original' one?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason