News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Short hood release cable for the 70's cars?

Started by TJ Hopland, November 19, 2022, 10:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I would guess most of us with the 70's cars that have the inside hood release where the hood just doesn't pop up when you pull the lever.  Yes you can try and chase down and pay for NOS springs or do other mods to the spring but how about just changing to an grill mounted release?

There must be one of the 'popular' cars that there are repro parts for that had a short cable release that mounted in the grill or bumper?   Even though we are not allowed to talk about them here seems like some may own such a car and could tell us what to look for. 

I would think GM would be the first place to look since maybe then the latch would be more similar so the cable and latch would have the best chance of working well together.  Did all GM's get the inside release at the same time which was 73?  How about other brands?  Imports?       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Abe Lugo

The only I have seen reasonably priced is a cable for a VW golf.  I was looking for something to actuate a door.  But you might take a look on eBay on what else you see. 
Maybe similar bodies GM cars from the same era have another solution
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ
The inside hood release was intended to prevent theft and pilfering under the hood and require access to the interior to open the hood. If all that is necessary to correct the problem is a new hood pop up spring, isn't that a lot simpler than butchering the front grill an external mechanism would probably require?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I did an NOS spring like 10-15 years ago, maybe even bought it from you?  It was expensive and after about 5 years I was back to the same problem again. I don't even have the slight extra weight of the insulation. 

Depends on the year how much space you may have and what the new handle lever is like.  Some years have some pretty big gaps or you could do something below the bumper that is pretty hidden where you have to know where to reach but could still be in a position to help it pop.

I know the idea was security but I'm in the camp of if someone wants something you have they will likely get it. If they want something from under the hood I would rather they can just get it since the alternative is slash the top and or break a window.  Most of the stuff under the hood of a 70's car is fairly easy to replace and not expensive.  Look at the price of an installed top lately?  Glass if you can find it?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I had the soft spring problem, I fixed it by putting a shock absorber rubber under the spring.

Didn't even use any glue to hold it in place, as it just stays there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I tried a spacer like that before I replaced the spring and just like the new spring it didn't last that long.  Maybe the problem is I have had my car too long?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

It seems those springs were designed as a compromise between ease of closing (the hood) and longevity. That's why I bought a few years back and when the spring seemed to loose it's tension I threw a new one in. Still do
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 19, 2022, 06:14:46 PMI tried a spacer like that before I replaced the spring and just like the new spring it didn't last that long.  Maybe the problem is I have had my car too long?
Well, mine has been there for 12 years.

But, when the car is in the garage at home, the hood is usually up as I have the mains power plugged into the Battery Tender.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon