News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 60S Fuel cap - vented or not

Started by Jerseycaddy56, May 11, 2023, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseycaddy56

I am looking for a description of the fuel cap used on the series 60S in 1956. Size, shape, Vented or not.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jerseycaddy56 on May 11, 2023, 09:01:41 PMI am looking for a description of the fuel cap used on the series 60S in 1956. Size, shape, Vented or not.

George,

If you have the original fuel filler tube and tank the cap "must" be vented, these can be found on any of the GM models for that era e.g. Chevy sites have them as well as on eBay if you search for these.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Caddy Wizard

The fuel cap itself is not vented.  Instead, if you look at the filler neck, you will see that the annular surface (the flat flange at the top) of the neck has two little valleys 180 degrees apart.  These allow air to go in and out of the filler neck when the cap is on.  Not much air, just a little.  But enough to vent the tank.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

JungleCadd

Quote from: Jerseycaddy56 on May 11, 2023, 09:01:41 PMI am looking for a description of the fuel cap used on the series 60S in 1956. Size, shape, Vented or not.

62s or my eldo at least have a fuel neck vent that tees off one back to the tank and a smaller one that does a wierd up and over and gets tucked into the frame rail goes to atmosphere. I think i need the c37 vented cap but still not sure.
56 Eldo Seville

Lexi

Pulled out my spare filler tube, said to be from a '56 Limo. I see one of the "U" shaped tiny valleys Art discussed. Looks like only one on this unit. Same on my '56 Limo, just one. Something I paid little attention to and did not know about. Thank you Art! Other than the Eldos I would imagine the filler tube to be the same for the other models that year, though not 100%. I believe my filler neck cap is original. Shots show both sides. Might have an extra one if interested. Clay/Lexi

Note: Check photo #2 to show "U" indentation vent as highlighted by a red arrow.

Caddy Wizard

I am not sure that there were always two vent depressions on the top of the filler neck flange.  I was recalling two, but perhaps in some years there were only one.

My knowledge and memory are limited, like everyone else's...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Lexi

But you're still way ahead of most of us! Clay/Lexi