News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

lubricants news

Started by fishnjim, August 02, 2022, 08:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

"(Reuters) - Valvoline Inc is selling its unit that makes lubricants, coolants and other automotive products to state-owned Saudi Aramco for $2.65 B in cash to sharpen focus on its retail services business.

The deal announced on Monday builds on the company's plan to separate the two units, with the sale proceeds set to fuel an expansion of the vehicle service center business Valvoline operates across the United States."

Another US brand going the way of the buggy whip.   All too common.  I'm not sure if it's evolution or short term cash out.   Time will tell.  Lack of a stable govt outlook to plan against?   I think the focus on the short term profit and projections, override the logic of supplying a market segment.  Add in the confusion of the 4 year zigzag agenda pushes.  I've watched this pattern of expand-focus on the core -contract - expand cycle in most big business for a long time.  All in the name of making profits, not good products. 
Especially in the possibility of an EV future which won't have the same service component.   Either it's a contrarian bet or following the competition.  They just opened a huge big name chain garage over here, and I just don't get.  Partly, cars have got so electronicised the shade trees can no longer work on themselves.  Maybe the reason for the mini revival in the classics?   Then there's a knowledge gap with that from the questions that get fielded on these brand sites.
I have no answers.   The journey over the endpoint...

Lexi

Yes, time will tell. Lets hope they continue to produce their classic car friendly VR1 high zinc motor oils. Clay/Lexi

jwwseville60

That tears it!
Im putting Tesla electric motors in all my Caddies. :)
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC