News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front Seats and Top = $4500?

Started by 67caddyLA, January 19, 2023, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67caddyLA

67 Caddy Deville. Blood red interior.

1) My front seats are cracking and the foam is coming out all over. I would like to have the front seats upholstered.  I am in Los Angeles.  What are you guys paying around the US? Do the red materials match?

2) I am a dummy (forgive me). Last year, the rear window glass tore on my convertible. I fixed it with brand new glass. I didn't think, and neither did the shop, but now that I use the top up and down a lot, top is cracking, and basically I need a new top.  Can my rear glass be used?  I see OPTI sells tops for $400-800.  What tops are you guys using?  What should be price of install? 

Ryan Zeimen
1967 Cadillac Deville Topless

67caddyLA

Some pics of the pattern of seats.

IMG_5493.JPGIMG_5497.JPGIMG_6205.JPGIMG_6206.JPG   
Ryan Zeimen

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ryan,

With regard to your seat problem, I have just fitted covers from lseat.com to my '72 Eldorado and am very happy with the results.   https://www.lseat.com/   Lots of colours available, and if they don't have your actual style, they will give you a discount if you supply your old covers as templates.

As for the roof, it looks like it might have to be a "simple" replacement.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

67caddyLA

Thank you Bruce!!! I will look at the Seat link you sent.

On the roof - my question is, is OPTI where you guys buy the roof?  Talked to a Vegas member and he said $2500 for roof + install. Sound right to you?

Do you have any photos of your seat covers?
Ryan Zeimen

35-709

As I remember, a new convertible top with rear glass window and pads for my '68 Pontiac Bonneville was (very roughly) $600.  Expert installation was another $600 or so.  Sorry I don't have more exact figures but it was certainly about half of the $2500 you have been quoted.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

67caddyLA

Quote from: 35-709 on January 20, 2023, 12:17:19 PMAs I remember, a new convertible top with rear glass window and pads for my '68 Pontiac Bonneville was (very roughly) $600.  Expert installation was another $600 or so.  Sorry I don't have more exact figures but it was certainly about half of the $2500 you have been quoted.   
That sounds more reasonable. 

The tops at OPTI with plastic rear window is $400. Glass rear window is $800 or so.  Since I have a glass rear window (new), I wonder if I can buy a top without any windows and reuse mine?

I will stop by a couple of other shops and ask the price.
Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Ryan Zeimen

2manycars

Just as a price reference, about 18 onths ago I had the top replaced on my 2001 Corvette. It has a Stayfast 3 canvas top and glass window. The top was made by GAHH. That company also owns Robbins tops and some other brands. The top and install was $1600. This is a smaller car, obviously, but probably a bigger pain, labor wise. I believe that the pads and cables were still good and were re-used, as was the headliner. Of course, headliners weren't used in convertibles in the 60s, generally. That'll be in the ballpark.

The hardest part of the seat I think would be acquisition of the correct leather and vinyls used. A good upholstery shop can stitch them up from there. My 64 CdV was redone that way, and the only giveaway really, was that the leather was nicer, being new, and all the skirts were redone in leather also. Usually only the Eldos were done that way. The others had vinyl skirts. Whoever did it did a fabulous job. They don't come any better than how that person did it.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

rms70

Might be talking out of turn because I am in early stages of fixing the tears and discoloration in my 70 DeVille seats..I didn't want to recover them and was told by other region members who had seen the interior to keep the original leather. Looked at several utube videos on how to patch and fill tears with compound and purchased the Leatherique system ( they custom matched my red color) which wasn't cheap but was consistently recommended on the forum.  The Leatherique conditioner really helped soften up the hard and cracking leather, especially on drivers seat back and then I started patching tears with backing material and glue. Then I found A.R.T. real repairs for real customers videos in which he stitches leather tears shut instead of glueing and knew I had to restart. Not sure I can blend and regrain the filler compounds as well as done in the videos but I have stitched two areas so far (had to add a patch to one area that mice had eaten away and made a nest in drivers seat while car was in storage) and I am happy with the results. I'm in no hurry,I'm not the best sewer and have not finished but I would keep your original leather(of course I can't see how bad it is under the tape on drivers side) which looks no worse than mine.

Rob

67caddyLA

Well got my seats done. Very happy how it came out. Member from Australia here was extremely helpful.

Next I need to do the top.

Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

have to give a big shout to member here BRUCE REYNOLDS

Ryan Zeimen

colorado4x4

Had a new top done on my 1970 Deville Convertible in Denver CO this past spring/summer it was 900 for the top/window/well from Robbins and 1100 for the install.
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 67caddyLA on October 05, 2023, 01:04:09 PMhave to give a big shout to member here BRUCE REYNOLDS
Thanks Ryan,

Good to know that everything worked out and you were happy with the results.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

marty55cdv

So did you use Lseat then ? The seats look great !
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

60eldo

I got a quote on my 60 in leather front and back seat 2400 usd
Jon. Klu

The Tassie Devil(le)

Jon,

Was your quote from Lseat?

I just looked at their website and the prices are US$349.00 each for the front and back.

If they don't have the patterns for your seats, then if you send in your covers as patterns, the price will be half.

But, as with everything, be warned that they are not as good as Factory original, or made with really expensive hides, but they are good, and better than sitting on worn-out seats.

PS.   I do not represent, or work for Lseat, but have purchased from them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

67caddyLA

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 09, 2023, 07:39:35 PMThanks Ryan,

Good to know that everything worked out and you were happy with the results.

You rocked it my friend. Couldn't have done it without you.
Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Ryan Zeimen