News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Trip to the City

Started by gkhashem, August 12, 2020, 07:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

We (me and the mechanic) did notice some oil on the sides of the engine. However, I think it was old oil since when I got the car 6 years ago the valve covers were leaking. It was leaking so that you could see some oil escaping from the top, but none is evident now years later.

At the time I put new valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, and transmission pan gaskets on about 6 years ago.

I am going to try to clean the engine up from underneath and see if that gets oil on it again. It could be leaking some but on an old car it's hard to tell, especially when you have some prior leaks in the past.

We also saw some oil from a shaft coming out of the transmission on the driver's side, not sure what you call that but it is maybe the linkage from the shifter? But this was real slight. Not sure how big of a deal that is to seal.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whilst you are down there, go around each of the sump bolts and give them a check with a socket, just to make sure that they are still tight.

Whenever I put new gaskets on, I always go around the fastenings a few months later.   You would be surprised just how things settle when there is a gasket between parts, especially soft gaskets and tin.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon