News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Sterring Wheel

Started by cnave20986, August 02, 2022, 03:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnave20986

I found this post on the board from a few years ago and really like this replacement wheel for my 69.
https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=61632;image

Does anyone know where I can buy one like this
Thanks
CurtisPhoto 22.03.2014, 19 44 15--- 1976 Steering wheel I am looking for.jpg

TJ Hopland

That looks like a 74.  That center is 74-76.  Not sure if the leather wrap was an option or standard on some models or if that is an aftermarket fix do deal with the common cracks and inlay issues that era had.

71-73 was similar to the 74-76 but didn't have the round center and I think the spokes were a little more narrow.

77-78 was a rectangle bar that had a lot of issues with the plastic warping and cracking.

79-till airbags was the 'frown' which only varied slightly with trim and the center cap. The 79+ are usually the easiest to find because they made em for so many years and they still tend to be less desirable cars for collectors plus leather cover was common so no cracking issues.  I think they may have also changed the plastic because even the not leather ones don't seem to have the cracking issues like the older stuff did.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

benji808

Regarding the leather wrap, I have a '75 Eldorado wheel that was cracking around the edges, "wood" peeling off etc. and created a very similar effect with this wrapping product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0989GF6SS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It was pretty simple to DIY, and it's holding up well almost a year later

35-709

Another excellent steering wheel leather wrap is "Wheelskins" that I used on my '73
https://wheelskins.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cnave20986

So I found a horn pad like the one in the pic. Can I just install this horn pad on my existing rim-blow steering wheel. if this works where do I pickup the white horn wire ?
Thanks
Curtis

TJ Hopland

I don't think the horn pads will interchange. They have to match the rear section which is usually an integral part of the main hub and structure of the whole wheel. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

cnave20986

So will any 70's Cadillac Steering wheel fit my 69 Cadillac Deville ? My current rim-blow steering wheel has Telescopic/Tilt (T/T) does the replacement steering wheel also have to come from a T/T car? I am currently looking at 74-76 wheels. I want to thank everyone for their replies thus far as I am a new Cad owner and don't want to just put a button on the floor for the horn

TJ Hopland

Telescope for sure you need.  The telescoping wheels have a bell housing sort of thing that covers up the gap if its telescoped.  Non tele wheels just have a little flange that is usually cast/molded part of the main wheel.  The tele wheels also have the slot in them and the lever for the tele locking lever. 

Tilt I'm not sure if the wheel is any different.  I can't think of any reason it would have to be.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

cnave20986

Thankyou for your response - my car actually came from Minneapolis and was originally bought there. Can i just buy the housing if the wheel came from a non T/T? Here is a pic of the car maybe you seen it around as I dont think there were many around the area that looked like this.

TJ Hopland

I once tried to get a non telle wheel to fit on my 73 and it was a complete failure that also destroyed the wheel I was trying to fit.  It looked really close and area that needed to be modified was a rubbery plastic that was fairly easy to shave off with a knife.  I think I ended up shaving it till I hit the metal core and it still wasn't quite enough and by that time looked pretty bad.

You don't see many non tilt and tele Cadillac wheels in the 70's, it seemed to be a pretty popular option. Only ones I have seen that were not was an ambulance.  The wheel I wrecked was from a Pontiac.  It was a perfect color match and at a glance the same style and it was cheap compared to what Cad ones were going for so I thought it was worth a try. I don't think the incompatibility was due to it being a Pontiac, I think it was because the Pontiac wasn't tele.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

I should also note that I don't know for sure that a 70's wheel will fit a 69.   Seems like others have done it but I haven't.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV