News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Back on the road with The Ark

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, June 01, 2022, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

NOW THAT I HAVE MY LAPTOP BACK... (I thought spending a zillion dollars for new state of the art nuclear powered
super duper wowie kazowie machine would end my computer problems for a bit... phhhht!)

We were no-shows for the Father's Day show in Hyannis. 55 degrees and a light rain? REM stage instead. I think I'm getting old, Gary Amster said I was finally seeing the light.

Just a ton of cruising when the weather is good, The Ark is my daily driver if the SUV isn't required.

"Cars and Cops" show in Saugus was the 25th, bright sunshine and hot, 150 miles round trip and averaged 10.6 with a combination of screaming highway and bumpertobumper in downtown Boston.

400 cars and mobbed all day. Lots of my old 'local' friends showed up, just a blast.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Why not... One of my fellow aircrew members was in town at his summer place in Falmouth, the 'Shamrods' in
Sandwich were having their weekly cruise in, so let's go hang out and have dinner. Local radio station PIXY 103 (hard rock) was a sponsor and plugging this cruise for days, it was mobbed tonight. And yes I have my HP laminate on the rear view mirror.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

jaxops

Looking fabulous Laurie.  I love your double-ring whitewalls! 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: jaxops on July 02, 2022, 02:16:34 PMLooking fabulous Laurie.  I love your double-ring whitewalls! 

Thanks Mark! Diamond Back Classic tires

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hadn't planned on this but the weather was too perfect. Cruise in my local club in Dennis Sunday afternoon
rescheduled from Saturday due to rain. Place was MOBBED, prime tourist season now.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Jeez, I have to catch up on this thread.
July 10th at Endicott, that was its own thread. I'm still pinching myself.
July 16 at Patriot's Square, July 23 was Cars Under The Stars, July 28th at
Kalmus Beach (the new plate thread), and July 31 at the Howard Lodge. 15 so far,
way behind '21 and '19, ami getting 'old'? What I need to be getting is an alignment,
yeesh! I'll be ordering 2 new Diamond Back Classics and whip those on over the winter.
I'll keep the good one for the spare, now all 5 will match for the Nationals in '24. And
the 'bad' one isn't all that bad, maybe I'll toss that into the attic along with the original
spare tire.

Upcoming August 11 (rain date 25th) at Gillette Stadium, August 14th (rain date 21st) with the
Rebels in Plymouth, August 16th back at Upper Cape Tech, August 27th "Blast From The Past" show in Dennis,
September 10th Cataumet School House Show, October 1 Kalmus Beach cruise/show, October 8th
Cape Cod Tech, October 16 The Red Barn Show.

Its *AUGUST* kids, get your cars out there, drive it like you stole it. If you live in the north
we'll be shoveling snow before you know it... I don't care how hot it is now.  8)

Then off the road for the winter and BACK into the shop for paint correction at Garbitt Auto,
bumpers and other misc re-chroming and a laundry list of "fix this/make work" at Hyannis Vintage.
And The Ark is already scheduled to go to Tirell in the fall of '23 to get the entire HVAC $y$tem
working correctly. Yes I have to book that far out with those folks here. EVERYTHING will be working
properly for Gettysburg. And no I'm not doing anything to the interior except clean it. I like the
gray hairs, the car is a DRIVER.  ;)

Drive your cars. While you still can.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

billyoung

God Bless You, Laurie Drive On ......
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: billyoung on August 07, 2022, 09:12:47 AMGod Bless You, Laurie Drive On ......

Bill I'll give you and your better half a call soon, I promise.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

HEY! Are you driving your cars? I'm getting acorns all over the ground and some leaves are turning/falling
already here on Olde Cape Cod. August 14th we were at the Rebels in Plymouth, the 20th with my club in Dennis,
the 25th finally at Gillette Stadium (3200 cars), 27th "Blast From The Past", 30th cruise in with the Shamrods
in Sandwich, September 3rd with my club in Dennis, the 10th was the Cataumet School House Show in Bourne, the
11th was one of cruises we do to an assisted living facility in Brewster, the Maplewood Center.

Still on the schedule: 17th at Lemon Tree in Brewster, 18th in Truro "Treasures Show", 24th my clubs last
cruise in Dennis. October 1st Kalmus Beach Hyannis (parade & show), 8th Cape Cod Tech, 15th WMB Annual Car Show
in Wakefield (yes Lexi I'm wearing my Ghost t-shirt or tour jacket and hoping my ears stop ringing from their
show in PVD Monday night by then, I'm on the square, etc), 23rd the Red Barn in Eastham. Maybe another run out
to the Rebels in October. And the car remains my daily driver if the weather is good.

The Ark comes off the road AGAIN November 1st for more work, he'll be on the Injured Re$erve Li$t for the re$t
of the winter.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

So what's on your list for the Ark's winter spa treatment? Have you discovered issues this summer that need addressing, or are you picking up where you left off with restorative work. Also, knowing your intense interest in music, are there any plans to up grade the Ark's original sound system? 

Happy day, James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on September 15, 2022, 07:22:22 AMSo what's on your list for the Ark's winter spa treatment? Have you discovered issues this summer that need addressing, or are you picking up where you left off with restorative work. Also, knowing your intense interest in music, are there any plans to up grade the Ark's original sound system? 

Happy day, James

Hi James,
picking up where we left off since we're going to the Nationals in '24 now. Already booked to go into Hyannis Vintage Auto in early November, Michael will take off the bumpers and some other chrome pieces and load them into the Death Star, I'll then drive the parts to South Shore Plating, they're expecting me. Michael has a laundry list of things to make work inside, things I can live without, things that will make a trip to Gettysberg pointless if they're not fixed. The cigarette lighters, 2 window switches, the buzzer in the dash, intermittent back up lights, the clock, yes the stereo too. Music wasn't just an interest, it was my life for 17 years being a guitar tech for metal bands. The stereo has to work like its 1970. It also has to play Ghost's "Ritual" at volume and with fidelity for me like its 2022, it will be interesting to see what Michael designs. (If anyone is going to look up that song, from Providence on Monday September 12, this is the show I was at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wWzz04--w ) After that The Ark goes up the street to Dickie Garbitt for paint correction. If the chrome is back by then the car will go back to HVA, be reassembled and put into storage. If not, The Ark will be stored around the corner at Cape Gun Works until the chrome is back and Michael can put him back together. I love taking the car to midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, not this year. First world problem.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

THat's a full agenda forthe Ark and you... regarding the sound system, I am working on the Alante's Bose four speaker, four amp "processed" unit.  As is usually the case, when we purchased the car last May, only two of the four speaker/amplifiers, (25 watts each)were working.  Fortunately, Johnny Monzo's NJ operation hsa been supplying me with parts (we also needed a major part for the anti lock brake system, as well as a new set of flex line for the brakes), yes, I'm doing my own work.  Back to the Bose system, I replaced the driver's door unit, and when I opened up the rear right side amp/speaker, a mouse had nested in the plastic enclosure, having gained access by way of a "sound tube opening" and while in residence, chewed up the voice coil leads to the speaker.  Your comment Laurie concerning the need for an extraordinary audio system got me cruising the web, where I found an interesting historical article of the development of 'radio' in GM cars. In the late 70's, Dr. Bose, whose small company had developed, what was then, a new approach to sound reproduction, based on his theory that a listener hears ambient reflected sound off of walls, floors and ceilings, so reproduced sound needs to be electronically processed and equalized to achieve a realistic effect.  For its time, my Allante's system is pleasant

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hi James,
"sound" was my life for years. How about this for a sound system - my 81 CDV with an 8-6-4 that actually worked. Two tone brown, velour interior, sun roof, what a car. I had that system done by "Rich's Car Tunes" just outside Boston in the mid-80's, its where all the cool kids had their car stereo done. The head was Alpine, so was the EQ and bass amp, speakers were Sony all around, the rear triaxles were 'split' for the bass amp. It wasn't possible to take the volume over 5, it became physically pain full. While the car was there I had them install a "car phone", it was a grand installed. Calls were .25 per minute in or out and it sounded like you were talking to an Apollo moon mission. But I was so cool... Yes that's Joe Stump with that CDV, still my close friend, I'd still tour with him, he and Alcatrazz just got back from a 30 day European run.*STG-LFT, stage left, its where lead guitar techs like me applied our trade.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Terrific pictures... yes, I am aware of your professional associations in the music industry-- cool beans,and especially affirming that you're keeping up with friends in the BIZ,  and especially interesting to know that your early 80's Cadillac had a custom system.  Apparently from the historical piece I just read, Ford and GM were painfully aware that many of their customers were opting out of the "radios" and optional upgraded "systems" they were marketing,and, folks were paying extra money for customized audio hardware, thus the GM relationship with Dr. Bose and company began.  Most contemporary cars have developed terrific systems with "engineered sound" multiple speakers, and those terrific sub woofers.   So the Ark's up graded system will be quite the challenge--- as you stated, you want the original system to operate as new, and you're looking for a state of the art component system---  interesting to know how this will come together... Happy day, James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 16, 2022, 08:17:34 AMLaurie,

I am glad you've gotten your car where you want it. I am sure the mechanic and body shop love seeing you. Dollar signs are in their eyes.

I know you love that sign but quite frankly that is all I see when you post pictures. It dominates the car, rather than compliment the car. A smaller size with less information positioned close to the ground and to the right front of the car would allow the car to be the star. Research shows that people read for 9 seconds and then move on to something else.

If you ever need help with a sign, I would be glad to help.

Steven you have no idea of the relationship I have with the people who surround me and the car. On more than one occasion when they've worked on the car they charged me - nothing. I know what these shops get, I know what they charge me when they do, its why their names are in lights on the showboard. Speaking of the showboard, the pictures you see that I post are often delayed greatly as I'm waiting for the line to read the board to clear out. The vast majority read it in its entirety because its well written and FUNNY. I've always received positive comments on it, with the majority saying "I wish everyone had a board like that, its nice to read the car's history, the people involved.." etc.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

Laurie-Meister. Got your PM but there was no text message there. Zippo. Hopefully you were zoned out listening to some Ghost or Judas Priest. Clay/Lexi   \mm/

Lexi

Damn... it is there. Looking for love in all the wrong places as the song goes. And I wasn't even zoned out in Metal. Clay/Lexi

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 16, 2022, 08:17:34 AMLaurie,

I am glad you've gotten your car where you want it. I am sure the mechanic and body shop love seeing you. Dollar signs are in their eyes.

I know you love that sign but quite frankly that is all I see when you post pictures. It dominates the car, rather than compliment the car. A smaller size with less information positioned close to the ground and to the right front of the car would allow the car to be the star. Research shows that people read for 9 seconds and then move on to something else.

If you ever need help with a sign, I would be glad to help.

Exactly the sign distracts from the actual car and seems like a plea for attention and self promotion . Let the car be the star , ditch the billboard .
R. Waligora

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Lexi Ghost is still on sale (resale) for tonight in Toronto. Recommending sections 101 or 109.
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/ghost-imperatour-toronto-ontario-09-17-2022/event/10005CA2FFBF4963

And here's a pic of The Ark to keep the thread on topic....

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

Crapola. I had planned on working on Lexi's front brakes & bearings today with company for dinner. Have never seen Ghost but would like to. :'(   Clay/Lexi