News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where to source a transmission pan for a '74 Eldorado

Started by warnercoffman, July 11, 2022, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warnercoffman

Where's the best place to source/purchase a new transmission pan for a '74 Eldorado? Trying to stop a leak around the pan and if the next attempt doesn't do it, I'll need a new pan. Willing to do an original style, low-profile steel pan or possibly a more sturdy aluminum piece. Any ideas/experience as to what the cost is would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1974 Eldorado Convertible
1999 Eldorado ETC

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Warner,

I don't suppose you have tried the common fix of straightening the flange of the pan with a basic flat hammer?

Overtightening tends to stretch the flange and bend it out of shape, so with a straightedge place it along the flange and see how bad it is bent.

Place the pan, upside down on a flat piece of steel, or a bench, and simply lightly tap the flange till it is flat all the way around.

Caution.   Don't use too much power with the hammer or you will take out the designed creases and angles, which have to be there to support the bolts and spread the clamping load.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

The above is what I always do with pans and valve covers.  Just a bit of tapping usually cleans them right up.

Failing that, the TH425 was used in Eldorados, Toronados and GMC Motorhomes.  Plenty of places to get new and used pans -- even high-dollar cast aluminum pans from the motorhome folks.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One problem with using the aluminium ones in the Eldorados is that they are very close to the ground, whereas in the Motor Homes, they might be a bit higher up if larger tyres are used.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon