News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires

Started by Georges63cad, August 28, 2022, 11:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georges63cad

:) Hello to all, 63 Fleetwood...tires on now-Cooper Trendsetter SE 215/75/15. Any kind or size tire better? Thank you, Geo

Caddyholic

Too small should be 235/75/15
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

63 I think was one of the years that had the odd wheels and really tall and narrow tires?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Art Director

Quote from: Caddyholic on August 28, 2022, 02:49:30 PMToo small should be 235/75/15
I have a 1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville with those size tires on it. They rub the insides of the wheel wells when the car is turned too far. I probably should have used 225/75R15. But this is a Fleetwood, so I would imagine the size is larger.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

The Tassie Devil(le)

The big problem with getting the correct size of tyres, what using the tried and proven conversion calculators is that one has to remember that these older cars were built with Cross Ply tyres, and even back then, the early Radial Tyres were very narrow.

Modern tyres are fatter in cross-section, and lower in profile, as they are designed for what the factories are building now.   Very few makers will build parts for the older 'Vintage' vehicle market, as there is really not enough profit.

One has to learn to not turn the wheel as hard so as to negate the rubbing when using these supposedly correct sizes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Moody

One thing to consider is how worn out the rear suspension bushings may be. Even new rubber ones can flex quite a bit. Looking under my '60, I can see where rubbing has occurred on the frame and brake line mount. I'm in the process of changing to all urethane bushings in the rear. Some sort for sway bar and or anti-roll bar is another idea I'm kicking around.
Dave
Moody

35-709

225R75/15 is probably going to be the best size in a radial.  You might talk to the folks at Diamondback Tires about their Auburn tires.  They are radials but built to look more like bias-plys, not inexpensive.
www.dbtires.com  A number of us here use them, checkout their internet catalog.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Georges63cad

I'd like to thank everyone for your help. Tomorrow I will find out if I have one or more tire(s) have a flat spot and if some how it can be fixed or removed and I'll go from there. Thanks again guys.  :)