News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1973 Eldorado gen light glows slightly

Started by foxsnout, August 04, 2022, 07:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxsnout

The GEN light on my 73 Eldorado glows ever so slighty. I recognized it when i drove the car last night.
First thing I did was check the fuse box and all were fine. Also, I connected a volt meter to the battery and the voltage was 13.95V at idle. I think its charging correctly.The battery cable terminals are tight and free from corrosion. I verified the body of the alternator is grounded. The belt is not loose and not slipping.
What could be the cause?
P.S.: a few month ago i opened the generator just to clean everything and detail it. It looked brand new inside (brushes like new). The car has 12000 original miles.
Thank you, Marco
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1973 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1952 Buick Super
1952 Fabulous Hudson Hornet Race Car #92
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

TJ Hopland

That usually means its weak like one of the diodes is out in the bridge.  You can just buy that part and replace it yourself if the rest seems to be good quality and condition.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

With an internally regulated alternator, besides the
6 diode power bridge, there is a small diode trio. 
An open diode in either can bring a dim light, check
each with your meter. 

Weak wiring with excessive voltage drop can also be
a problem.  good luck,
Bruce Roe

foxsnout

Hi,
Everything works now as it should. GEN light is off. I changed the small diode trio and everything is good now.
Thank you!
Greetings, Marco
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1973 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1952 Buick Super
1952 Fabulous Hudson Hornet Race Car #92
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

Seville Life

Gentlemen - if you read your Serviceman Bulletins you'll see that '73's were prone to this. Yes indeed it could be the diodes but in this case Cadillac knew of the glowing GEN lamps.

First the workshop manual, then the Serviceman Bulletins, the year of your car and one year either side. They are oddly harder to get today than years ago. Remember Justin Hartley did them. Saviour.

Do some checks on the charging system to be certain it's all ok. 
Paul Bedford

TJ Hopland

If you have the information why not share it?  At least give us a summary on the issue and the fix?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Seville Life

I can't sorry, my possessions are in storage, I've got tired of the world we live in and so am touring.

Not sure there was a fix as such. It was noted that a gently glowing GEN light was normal in '73. Yes of course there was further information. The thing to do are the tests shown in the workshop manual, just to be sure the charging system is right.

You need someone with a complete set of 1973 Serviceman, surely there must be lots out and about?
Paul Bedford