News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Ignition Points and Condenser? Or Something Else...

Started by Joshua, August 07, 2022, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Hello Everyone,

I received acquired my fourth 1959 Cadillac and am restoring it. Upon opening the distributor, I saw a combination points and condenser set. I have never seen anything like this before. Every 1959 Cadillac distributor I have opened has had separate points and condensers. I have attached a few pictures. Does anyone know what I have?

Thanks,
Josh :D
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I

Daryl Chesterman

Delco made them and called them a uniset.  Other manufacturers copied them also.  Doing a quick internet search, I found that Standard Ignition parts made them, NAPA has them (made by Echlin), and there are probably others.  When they work, they are faster to install than the points and condenser as separate units.  I purchased a Delco set to put in the 1959 Deville that I am working on, and they didn't work—I had to put in the separate points and condenser and it fired right up.  I used to use the uniset in a 1973 pickup that I owned and they always worked for me.  Yours appear to have been made by Sorenson although I couldn't find the "uniset" version online.

Sorenson points:  https://www.ebay.com/p/17003653084

AC Delco uniset:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Delco+uniset&_sacat=0

NAPA Echlin:  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHCS791?impressionRank=1

Daryl Chesterman

35-709

I had the same frustrating experience with a '60 CDV, car would not run with the Uniset, put the old points and condenser back in and it ran fine.  Seem to remember I had the same experience with another car but not sure.  I always use the separate points and condenser anymore, if I haven't already converted that car to electronic ignition.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

CadillacFanBob

I have used the Uniset in a lot of GM cars when working for automobile repair shop and never had an issue with them, BUT never used them in GM cars from 1957 to about 1966 model years. I would be curious to see why they would not work the early years cars. Does anyone have any speculation of why they did not work for you?

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

Daryl Chesterman

In my case where it did not work in the 1959 Deville, I think the uniset that I installed was defective.  I had used the uniset many times in a 1973 Chevrolet pickup and never had a problem.

Daryl Chesterman

Joshua

Thanks everyone for the information. I was able to add the separate points and condenser back. The car runs nicely now.

Thanks, Josh
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I

fishnjim

If it's the right set, there's no difference than the separate kind.  They just attached the condenser so they had less parts. ie, Cost reduction.  Plus there's no resistance and possible loosening of the condenser connection.
If it's bad it's bad not because of the design.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

There really does not seem to be ANY reason a "uni-set" wouldn't work, but I've tried them over the yeas on several Cads (66, 72, 73) and never had them work successfully for any length of time. I gave up trying to guess why but they did not work well.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Lexi

Gets me thinking about the old Self Starter article (by John Washburn?) on the high failure rate of condensers. I had a uni-set on my Cad which lasted quite a while. When the points began to wear I changed it out to a regular, split set. It was then that I realized I had to scrounge a mounting screw for the new, separate condenser, which had been long discarded by a previous owner. Something to consider. I don't recall my replacement set coming with an additional screw. Clay/Lexi

cadillacmike68

I like the uniset P&C because it is much easier to install. Take out the old set, match the threads on the adjuster of the new set with the old set, put it in and it always starts. Then you can easily adjust them with your dwell meter and 1/4 allen wrench while the car is running.

You probably got a defective set. I've had a few. I'll use the other ones if I can't find a uniset, but its so much easier with a uniset.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike