News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Coolant temperature on a '67 DeVille

Started by Julien Abrahams, August 12, 2022, 04:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Dear all,

Just a short question on the 'normal' coolant temperature on a '67 DeVille after the car has driven about 20 miles. Ever since I replaced the temperature sending unit(a couple of years back) the temp gauge goes to about the half way mark after the car has warmed up. That is also where it stays (with outside temperatures around 85 degrees).
I have measured the temperature with an infrared thermometer of the upper radiator hose right near the thermostat housing getting around 175-180. Lower radiator hose is around 160. (I just got the temp gun, so I was just curuous).
My guess is that the sending unit is a bit off. What do you think?
If the car is not overheating (which it isn't) I can live with that. Thanks in advance.

Julien.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Big Fins

Unless the sending unit in the block is calibrated to the gauge, you are going to experience incorrect and/or differing readings on the gauge in the dash. The temperatures that you are getting via the IR thermometer look correct, indicating you are getting flow through the radiator and the block itself.

Have you tried a mechanical gauge with a matching sending unit? I know parts aren't as easy to obtain where you are and threads may be different. Getting a new old stock original sending unit that is used with that dash gauge would be best, but probably difficult to find.

I would say that halfway on the gauge is acceptable. You can smell an overly hot engine and your IR temperatures are telling you what is real. I wouldn't be too nervous about it. Enjoy the car!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Matti R

Quote from: Big Fins on August 13, 2022, 12:47:21 PMUnless the sending unit in the block is calibrated to the gauge, you are going to experience incorrect and/or differing readings on the gauge in the dash.
How to calibrate the gauge? Or how to check that sensor is giving correct resistance? I have not found any data in Service manual.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe