News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Power Window Pump Line

Started by bobchaney, August 16, 2022, 09:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobchaney

I need to replace the flexible hose to the power window pump. I'm having a difficult time getting the hydraulic lines disconnected. I normally would use a brake line type wrench like I use on the window cylinders. However, I can't get one on these fittings and the open ended wrench is starting to round off the corners. Suggestions?
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

Jay Friedman

It looks a bit corroded in the photo. Would some WD-40 or another rust buster help?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

fishnjim

bobchaney

Thank you and yes I am using two wrenches. It's just that I can feel the one on the nut starting to round off the shoulder. I was hoping someone knew of a tool that might help but I realize hope isn't a great plan. . . May have to resort to vise grips or something but that's ugly for sure.
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

35-709

If you can get it in there, this is the style wrench you should be using on the nut that you are trying to break loose or hold.  An open end should work OK on the other "nut", but use this style on both if you can.  Called a "B" nut or flare nut wrench.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

bobchaney

Yes I have one of those wrenches. Problem is the flex line diameter is too big to fit the wrench over it. . . I'm hoping someone that's been through this can help with a suggestion. It just doesn't feel right to have to bugger everything up to get it out
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

bobchaney

Hose is out, had to do it the hard way as a fellow member suggested. Cut the rubber line, twisted off the coupling and then used vise grips. It's still all there though as a template for a new one.Hose.jpg
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

bobchaney

Just to finish this thread off, I was able to find a local hydraulic hose company to make a replacement for me. At first they said No but when I asked what can you do we went in the back and started looking around. This may be helpful for others so here's the thread sizes. The connection to the pump is a 1/8" NPT (pipe thread) and the other end that goes into the splitter for the seat is a 5/16" inverted flare.
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432