News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 VIN Location

Started by Cadillac Nut, August 18, 2022, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

Where else is the VIN located on '69s, besides the typical place at bottom of the windshield?

J. Skelly

Look for the machined pad at the back of the engine block.  Police departments would know the locations for hidden VINs such as on the frame.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Cadillac Nut

Where in the back of the engine is that?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Can you tell me why you're searching for a second VIN?
 Thanks.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Matti R

Quote from: Cadillac Nut on September 03, 2022, 04:10:45 PMWhere in the back of the engine is that?
Top of the block, rear end
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, there is no machined pad at the back of the block for the stamping.   The factory uses the 'as-cast' surface to stamp the numbers so it makes any manipulation of the numbers stand out as being changed.

The number is stamped on the top rear transmission mounting flange, behind the intake manifold on the left of centre.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
 Some of you are right, some of you are wrong. I'm gonna wait to see the reason he needs 2 VINS
Bob

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The dash VIN was faded on ours but I was able to verify it before I bought it- So I know it's right.
I took it to be inspected and the kid tried to clean it but that made it harder to see. The engine and trans match but I have never found where the hidden VIN is located.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

V63

The 'hidden VIN' is not advertised for obvious reasons but typically it's atop a rear frame rail that requires a mirror if the body is in place.

There is a federal sticker on the driver door and it has the VIN as well.

Also a protecto plate was supplied in the owners manual originally.

Cadillac Nut

Thanks, the one at the windshield is very hard to see on mine.  I couldn't find anything on the trans?  Visible from above in the engine compartment?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Cadillac Nut on September 05, 2022, 12:44:26 PMThanks, the one at the windshield is very hard to see on mine.  I couldn't find anything on the trans?  Visible from above in the engine compartment?
No.
Climb under it. If I remember correctly, it is just above a lip on the driver's side. Mine had gunk on it and had to be cleaned......
I did this years ago so if someone else remembers differently then go with then.
The manual has a pix of its location.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille