News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 60 special Original Air Conditioner ?

Started by LCross, September 29, 2022, 06:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCross

I have seen a 1941 60 special and they say it has the original air conditioner. I will try and attach a photo of it, did they offer air conditioning back then? It looks like an add on to me.

DSC01954.JPG

Jeff Hansen

Air conditioning was an unadvertised option in 1941.  Not many were produced.  I have seen photos of factory units and this doesn't look similar.  The only way to know for certain, though, is to get the build sheet for the car and see what it says.

Attached is a drawing of what the system looked like in a '41 as well as a photo of the cooling unit from an existing system.

Jeff41CadillacACPhoto.jpg41_cad_ac_7_original.jpg 
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

V63

It has blower motors somewhere? Interesting it was only offered 1 year as 6 volt? Not to appear again until 12 volt?
There was no clutch, so no electrical draw there ?
I'm assuming it was not effective? or too costly?

Jeff Hansen

The blower motor(s) were in the cooling unit in the trunk.  The motor(s) were controlled by a switch mounted to the dashboard bottom similar to the fog and backup light switches (the knob, in this case, was unlabeled).  I say "motor(s)" as I unsure how many there were.

Only one outlet - there was a vent on the rear package shelf.  You are correct about the lack of a clutch.  The only way to turn the compressor off was to remove the belt from the crank to the idler pulley.

There was at least one 1942 that came with this factory a/c setup.  It is documented in Cadillacs of the Forties.  None are known to have provided provided after that until the 1950s.
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Chris Cummings

I recall reading that 300 1941 Cadillacs were built with factory-installed air conditioning.  And yes, you turned the compressor off by removing the drive belt.