News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

77 Seville Arizona

Started by Magoo, June 23, 2017, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magoo

I bought a 77 Seville a year ago for 2,600. I may have paid a little too much but the car looked like it was mostly taken care of, garage kept with no rust. Windows worked but master control did not. Went to junkyard and there was a seville with one still intact (lucky day). 12 dollars.
It idled way too high and I did not know what I was doing so I went the chevy dealer in Kingman and they sent me to a small garage where a former employees had set up shop. I dropped it off and he called me an hour later and said he could not work on it. He actually drove it into the shop, popped the hood, took the air cleaner off before he realized what it was and put everything back.
He sent me to another shop. I dropped it off, came back two hours later to hear him say. I did not know it was a seville, i took it for a ride and it runs good. If it was not running I would get it running but I could mess with it for hours, charge you a bunch of money and it may not run any better when you leave here. I would just drive it if I were you. How much did you pay for it? I told him and he said it was worth about $1,500.
A little bummed but I read some stuff here and other places and started playing with the idle arm. It would lock into place and idle high but if I backed it off just a little and found a "spot where it would catch" just right, it ran fine. Woohoo!! I was happy camper.
Next I put pads on front brakes, new belts and car runs good and smooth but it now has a gas leak from the top of one injector when I shut the engine off. I pull injectors and 4 of them are a little longer then the other 4 and they looked in bad shape. I go to local auto store and they want 54 bucks each so I decided to go online and buy the cheapest ones at 19 each. It took me three tries (I am not a very good mechanic)  but Its together, no leaks, runs great. I am again a happy camper cruising in my black cadillac.
It needs some suspension work, ball joints, uppers, etc and that may cost almost 1,000.  Next up is fixing the AC/heater. They both work but only low fan.  It barely blows. I looked inside the filter box? to make sure there were no nests and it was clean. All the fuses are good so I need to look up more info for my next step there.
I also bought 4 tires for 450. So I have 1,000 total into the car for 3,600 total. I will try to post pics if I can

Magoo

I tried to post 2 pics last time and one did not post so I may have to post them one at a time

Magoo

Front end looking sharp. I do not plan on fixing it up beyond needed repairs. I like driving it into town and back and saving miles on my 97 Ford powerstroker. From the reading I have done, I may spend a lot more time repairing things then I would like to.

James Landi

Mr. Penn, the world is full of negative people --  and you're making a personal statement about who you are by sticking with the car...you're developing skills that most people would never dream of learning.   And you'll find that if you take care of your Seville-- drive it carefully, and add more miles on it, your very minor investment in the car and the repar parts will begin to look like a very good idea.  Stick with it--- in a world of 6 billion people, just how many own a 77 Seville?   Happy day,  James

bcroe

That car is about the most complex model Cad had built up to that time.  I figure
what I pay for a car isn't that important, compared to what it will consume in the
next 20 years.  After 4 decades lots of things will need attention; you can try to
get ahead of them, or just keep fixing them as they come up. 

I send injectors to places that clean and test them; most are fine again.  The
seals must hold back 40psi, or your engine will be bathed in gasoline (until a
spark).  Same for every rubber fuel line all the way back to the tank. 

The high idle problem is discussed in THE SELF STARTER Nov/Dec 2010 issue. 
I expect you have Automatic Climate Control, which may burn up the high
blower wiring after a while.  Fixing it will be a bit of a problem, possibly
needing some control modules.  Preventing this failure is discussed in THE
SELF STARTER  page 20/21  July 1999 

Bruce Roe

Magoo

James Landi  Thanks for the good words! I hear there are not many first gen sevilles left so that number is very small

Magoo

bcroe thanks for the reply. I am not sure if it is automatic climate control. Controls are to the left of the steering wheel. It is like a wheel you rotate from red colored to blue color.
Where can I find the THE SELF STARTER?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

First gen Seville is still fairly common today however triple black is pretty rare.

- All Cadillacs air conditioning systems were Auto Climate Control beginning in 1964.

Bcroe knows more about this generation Seville than anyone.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, You said the magic words... First, join the National Club. Then, as space allows, there is usually a listing of back issues every other month or so in the current magazine. Given that some issues are sold out, if that happens, most generally (and generously) one of our members could scan the issue you need and send it to you if you request such on our Forum.

Why can't they do so "right now" you might ask? Well, that is possible. Even probable, but we do try to give folks a reason to join our Club...  Read the current post of "membership benefits." There are about twenty "answers" to why you should join. In any case, best of luck and keep enjoying your car.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville