News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Those will work just fine for your drains. I inherited my parents 55,56,57 Chevrolet parts business when they passed, and I went through everything to see what if anything could be used on my 56 Cadillac.
Those drain hoses were just one thing that I was able to use, for both the front and back windows, but also for the AC duct drains on the fresh air intake hoses.
There are a lot of parts that cross over among the divisions of GM.
Unfortunately, there's a lot that are specific to Cadillac as well.
One thing that is universal are the screws that are used on the inside trim pieces. So I ended up with all new screws for that.
Having worked in parts for most of my career, I learned that if you just look around at the other brands, you can find many things cheaper than what is listed for a Cadillac, and even things only listed for other brands that are just the same as the one for a Cadillac but not listed or offered anywhere.
 HTH,  Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

Heard from the Trans rebuilder. Everything cleaned up well in the thermo cleaning.  So he is continuing with the rebuild.  He has suggested I get a new Torus shell due to pitting on the seal surface of the shaft.   No problem.  20230323_121205 (1).jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Does anyone have any personal Stainless Steel opinions.  Speaking of brakes, fuel coolant lines. And Gas tank.  Honestly the cost difference for all these in Stainless is minimal. And I am not worried about judging.   

I think I decided I do not want stainless exhaust due to the sound difference.  But I don't think there would be a functional difference for these other parts. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

I won't use Stainless Steel for Brake Lines, simply as I make my own, and I don't want to wreck my dies with hard Stainless.

Plus, Stainless work-hardens when in flex and I don't want my brake lines to crack.   When I do need Stainless Steel for Brake Lines, as in Marine use (for my boat trailer) I use Braided Brake hose and fittings.

As for Exhaust, I use Stainless Steel, but heavy wall stuff, like 2mm.   Bends without crimping, unlike the thin stuff, and not as noisy.

With regards to Gas Tanks, only if I have to construct a new one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Quote from: StevenTuck on March 26, 2023, 08:05:51 AMCarl, I too have gone to other GM suppliers for parts. It seems other marques are in higher demand therefore parts are more readily available. For instance, I needed the clips that hold the radiator overflow tube. I found the exact ones used by Cadillac through a Pontiac supplier. Two clips are required and attach to the right side of the radiator. There are places on the radiator where they attach.

Steven that would be great if you can tell me where you got them.  I have been looking for those as well.

Cadman-iac

A lot of these "universal" or "standard parts", as GM refers to them, are also available through an outfit called Danchuk manufacturing. They make and sell stuff for the 55,56,57 Chevrolets.
What I've found is that generally one company will make a part, and then they sell it through several outlets, Year One, Danchuk, Old 55, Brothers Truck parts, Etc.. Just like Delco makes parts for Cadillac, they also supply Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC, and formerly Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Saturn. You just have to do a little research.

Having worked in both aftermarket and for GM dealers, I've seen lots of examples of this.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

Do you see any issue with Flex Plate surface rust.

I don't think there are any issues with it.  But I would at least like to clean it up without causing more rust. 

IMG_20230328_192649099.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks perfectly good to me.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

James Landi

Carl--- look very very carefully at those bolt-on "ears."  About 50 years ago, my '61 had two ears that had split and caused a vibration on accerelation.  Fortunately, I found a mechanic who spot welded the ears to the fly wheel. using the bottom bell housing entry as a easy way "in." (The car was "running on reputation" at that point, so removing the transmission or engine or both was not in the cards).   James

Clewisiii

So I picked up my Trans today.  He had it for 2 1/2 weeks in total. 

I paid
$1500 labor
$400 rebuild kit from Autotran.us
$80 for trans filter and a pair of better seals from Fatsco
$150 to the rebuilder for a Torus cover will a less pitted sealing surface. 

The kit from Autotrans.us was missing one clutch plate. The rebuilder said the original was fine enough to reuse.  If I did it again I would probably order the whole kit from Fatsco. 

The goal is still to start this thing in June.   I hope to have the frame powder coated at the end of April. 

Radiator is the biggest thing actually holding it back right now.  But I also might want to have a professional go through my distributor. 

James Landi

Carl, You likely know this well, but I'd make certain that your radiator is in excellent repair, and your cooling system is free of rust and debris.  Back in 1966, I had my '61 Cadillac convertible engine flushed with a high pressure water tool at a local service station.  I don't think any mechanic uses this approach now, but he took out the thermostat, and connected this high pressure water/compressed air device to the upper radiator hose and blasted away... I was shocked to see the junk that blew out of the top of the radiator of my 5 year old engine...I have noted that aftermarket cooling system filters are available, and one of those might serve well to capture junk before it enters a well cleaned radiator and a heater core.  Hope this helps,    James

Lexi

And up here I was told by a radiator shop that they had to amend how they flush rads and use less aggresive chemistry. What I have noted is that now they don't get all the crud out. The greenies strike again. Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

Making room around this thing to start tearing it apart again.  I think I will call the powder coater tomorrow to get on their schedule.  He said call two the three weeks in advance. 

My dog did not like me not giving him enough attention.  Kept jumping up on me and clunked himself into the frame, fender, trans, and using a flat cardboard box as a surf board.  IMG_20230403_200828058.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can tell by the sad look in his eyes that you aren't paying him enough attention.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David King (kz78hy)

Bill's Collision in Highland is an old school radiator repair shop.  I've had many recored there and it would kind of close to you.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Clewisiii

Ok I have requested next Friday off and contacted the sandblaster to confirm the drop off of my frame and components. I will drive out to West Michigan Cerokote to pick up my exhaust manifolds that day to.  I find it funny that my trans rebuild with ordering parts was done a week and a half quicker then coating my exhaust manifolds.  I don't really care about the time it was just funny to me

David King (kz78hy)

There is a Cerokote source in Fenton I've used for 2 pair of exhaust manifolds and he did a great job.

https://www.cerakote.com/applicators/81545/cerakote-specialties
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Clewisiii

Coming back apart for powder coating.  And the smell of Racoon piss is coming off on my hands. 

Th whole reason I did the two year remodel of my shop was due to a family of six racoons who took up residence in the attic of my shop and Racoon piss dripping down rusted my recent body work and some frame rails.  So taking care of that to give myself the best conditions to finish and store this car took a total of three years added to my build.   

But I take all this to the media blaster next Friday.  Hope to have it all back from powder coating by mid may.   Engine on frame and started by end of June IMG_20230407_112419026.jpg

Clewisiii

Has anyone found a better way to compress the front springs.  A 5/8 rod through the shock mount is the best I have found. IMG_20230407_161839647.jpg

Clewisiii

So the front springs are off.   This was a new set of upper bumpers 6 years ago.  Look at what sitting with no weight has done to them.

Looking at driver to passenger side, I think the pass spring was not seated properly. It was under more force then the driver side. 

I just have to press out all the bushings and ball joints.  I am not hopeful that I will be able to reuse them.

IMG_20230407_170618242.jpgIMG_20230407_170613383.jpgIMG_20230407_170623497.jpg