News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

-51 convertible project

Started by dogbergs, February 13, 2021, 02:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbergs

Quote from: Eldovert on March 14, 2021, 01:11:09 AM
I like what you are doing here..great fabrication!
Cheers,Pat

Thanks, wouldn't say great but pretty ok. You just have to level the hours vs the result.

-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

dogbergs

Quote from: dogbergs on March 15, 2021, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: Leary75 on March 13, 2021, 05:05:26 PM
So much rot to deal with, but it

Not so good at this though, trying to appreciate the kind words from you guys but having a hard time!..

Thanks / Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

To choose color can really bother for quite a while, which would you pick? Original is Tucson beige and I don't really get the feel for it?
After months of headache i came up with something!. Not your ordinary Cadillac color I guess, had to paint it on something with a little size to see, so the trunk lid got painted and actually I think the look suits me.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

James Landi

It's truly a lovely color--- very rich.   Some additional thoughts-- dark (rich) colors absorb sun generated heat, so dark exterior colors will be hot to the touch.  ALso, keep this factor of heat absorption when deciding on upholstery  colors. I suspect that you'll use your convertible on "occasion," so dark colors on a cool day, with the top down are a plus. 
Your work is terrific and enjoyable to follow.  Thank you,   James

dogbergs

Quote from: James Landi on March 26, 2021, 08:23:52 AM
It's truly a lovely color--- very rich.   Some additional thoughts-- dark (rich) colors absorb sun generated heat, so dark exterior colors will be hot to the touch.  ALso, keep this factor of heat absorption when deciding on upholstery  colors. I suspect that you'll use your convertible on "occasion," so dark colors on a cool day, with the top down are a plus. 
Your work is terrific and enjoyable to follow.  Thank you,   James

It will be a black canvas top, black leather sofas, where I live you can't just absorb too much heat.
Thank you very much for encouraging words and it feels really good with positive reactions when swimming in deep waters like this. I mean when my sister says it looks Fantastic!. And I know she's really good with colors, but there is a slight chance of just being kind and not give me any more headache about colors.

Thank you James

/ Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

The red interior color (earlier post) was just that it allready had some of that and was not sure about the exterior color at the time.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

It's been a bit quiet over in this part of the shop for a while, but now I heard the rebuild kit from Terrill Machine, Texas at least was in Sweden, so soon maybe!. The sad part is I have to go away for "real work"a couple of months so the progress will slow down a bit.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I fixed the "hot tub station" for this project and it's been used 24-7 since it got there, most valueable.
It's only the first step functioning yet, with just alkaline degreasing and water at 122 f ,it sure does the work while you're doing other stuff.. The second step is a bit more evil (Strip-all) and gets the rust too but with that one it's a no-no with aluminum and surface treated steel. The first step takes away paint surprisingly well too so I've only used that for now.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Restoring front suspension. Left side spindle support was worn and needed od thread, metric 35 fine thread was in the drawer and closest possible od, have to make a new bushing with 7/8-11 inside and that tap I had to ebay from uk but it soon will be here. Feels good to start put things together again, a more "rewarding" part of the build.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

This one was truly needed, applying some heat too, sat much harder than expected.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

The Tassie Devil(le)

Very nice puller.

To make it easier, once you have tightened the bolt up, and it still doesn't move, give it a tap with a hammer.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dogbergs

Thank you Bruce, it had some of that too!..
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I decided quite early not to do frame off, the fastening points were okay, some got special care, but okay.
The body's been layed down once and so it will be. So after many hours of scraping, brushing, crying, laughing hysterically it finally had some body paint. I'm not much for shiny under, like to give my cars some oil shower underneath for rust protection sometimes.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Found out last night that the wife's been going behind my back with one of my best friends the last couple of weeks.
This was a good start for a post in restoration corner?
Yes, my friend is an artist in everything he does, excellent guitar player and amazingly gifted in every form of pictured art.
The wife knows my weak spots and I sure turned 50 the last weekend.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Finished that knuckle support od bushing started in earlier post, the new one that didn't fit little ashamed beside.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Back on the wheels again. The upper front bump through rubbers were no good quality so after 70 years of duty they had to be replaced, sadly I will be satisfied if the new ones last for 10. I did cheat here, instead of putting 2-300 dollars getting original "like" ones we went for the universal ones, payed 3,90 and put them upside down, I like it!. And on top of (below?..) that some more violent customization, cut the front springs about 60mm and put 4" lowering blocks on the rear axle. I really dont know if this is going to work but if we dont try we dont know, it sure will look fantastic.
In my past life when I had a Cadillac serie 62 -53 that I drove but didn't wrench, cause didn't have to, I stupidly enough bought a "Deluxe front end suspension kit" for a LOTS of dollars, you know thinking it's an old car and has to be done etc..
This kit was now 15 years later going to be used when tearing apart suspension of the convertible -51. I'm not going to dis on any parts dealer but let's say I used the kingpin axles w bushings and probably will use the steering ball joints.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Relined the front shoes, anybody familliar with the brand Feadco? Need to get some new sealings for the wheel cylinders and for sure the master, going to reline rear too, have to say all brake parts looked really good.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

Macabry

Looking good so far ... really interested to see how she sits and rides on those cut springs and lowering blocks ... I'd been thinking along the same lines as my '52 looks so tall from some angles 😎👍
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

dogbergs

Thanks Macabry, got the tallest blocks there was to start with, for milling down if needed. About the coil springs it's a hope and faith thing..

/ Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

Macabry

Well you've done a great job so far, I'm sure it'll be great ... I've had good results with cutting coil springs in the past but not on a car this heavy ... trial and error  8)

Nice work on the floorpan too ... where did you find a spare wheel well ? ... mines rusted out and I can't seem to find that panel anywhere (a Shoebox ford 49/50/51 will fit but is a bit too deep)?

Keep up the good work !
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special