News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

64 DeVille 4 window sedan restoration

Started by Matti R, April 24, 2021, 09:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti R

My new project is 64 Sedan Deville, paint 32 Seacrest Green, trim 47 light green. Th400, cruise control, AC, 6 way power seat, original AM radio, power vent windows, controlled differential, front seat belts, power door locks.

Previous owner has a wood product company, and he had idea to pick up his US customers from the airport with nice Cadillac. He imported this 64 from US about 10-20 years ago, but it never got registered and taken into use.  Last summer it was started and he noticed that engine is smoking too much. Engine was taken out and dismantled, and some other parts of the car were removed for restoration. Being 78 years and retiring from his business, he noticed that there is no sense to get it restored for his needs, and he decided to sell it.

Car seems to be in very original condition from inside and trunk. All parts are there and all in good condition. Some surface rust here and there but nothing bad. Small scratches in paint. Shop manual and master parts lists I already have.

The main tasks in to-do list are:
- engine inspection and rebuild. Partly by myself, with support from engine shop.
- rust repair behind right front wheel. That is only spot with real rust damage. Maybe AC evaporator has been leaking there or something.
- windshield needs to be replaced, crack in passenger side. Those are available here in Finland.
- front seat needs new upholstery. Probably I will try to get fabric from SMS.
- rubber parts in windows and doors need to replaced.
- passenger side fender side trim missing.
- front bumper was already dismantled. Buckets need to be replaced on both sides.

Wish me luck!!!
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

russ austin

R.Austin

Matti R

Hi Russ,
It has been very rewarding and joyful project. Great puzzle with lots of parts and no idea where they belong to. I try to do all by myself because I like it.
429 engine is rebuilt with new rings, main bearings, timing gear, oil pump, seals and gaskets. TH400 refurbished with new plates in forward clutch. Floor cleaned, painted and insulated. Front seat cover repaired with new fabric, and covers and buttons installed.
Next steps are getting front seat to its place and then engine and tranny as well.
I am amazed how good condition the car has after 58 years. Probably got good care as it was registered as antique vehicle in PA already 2001. I tried to contact previous owner in Newtown,PA but no reply.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe