News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2000-2002 Eldorado Coachbuilders Convertible Mini Boot Covers

Started by Mike Shawgo, August 10, 2022, 09:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shawgo

Hi guys,

I know very few of you are interested in these cars, but I just bought a 2000 Eldorado ETC Coachbuilders convertible. Unfortunately it was missing the mini boot covers. I contacted Droptops (formerly Coachbuilders) in Florida, but they say they are no longer available. If anyone has one of these Eldos, I'm wondering if you think that an upholstery shop could duplicate the part.

Mike Shawgo

GBrown #8092

I sold mine several years ago. But my best recollection is that they were vinyl covered fiberglass. Each had a tab that slid into the primary boot, but I don't recall how the front attached. I'm sure a top shop could make one for you, but you may need to find one that does custom fabrication work to make one that matches.

I should add if you ever have a rear window motor fail, they are a massive pain to replace (the 80's ASC convertible window motors are a breeze to replace.)  The motors are fairly generic, but cost a ton of $$$ if you buy one from them. I can't read the OE part number off of the box it came in, but can send you a picture of what one looks like to try and save you some money when the time eventually comes.

Mike Shawgo

Hi Glenn,

Luckily the previous owner had just replaced both rear window motors. He said he had gotten the motors from Droptop I think. That would be great to get if you have a picture of one of them.  Thank you!

Mike

GBrown #8092

While the motor I bought from Drop tops had no manufacturer identifying information, I had not noticed that the one I took out did have a part number.

The part number for the left rear window is 24015712. Based on what I can find out is that is a 90s GM window motor.

Glenn20220812_163138.jpg20220812_163156.jpg20220812_163145.jpg   

DBOND1

Mike: good to see someone else has a coachbuilders conversion so we can compare notes occasionally.I own a 2002 Eldorado ETC coachbuilders conversion. I'm not sure which part you are describing as a mini boot but as Glenn mentioned I too have a fiberglass boot on mine.You have most likely already have done this.My suggestion is to run a carfax report on the car and see what repairs have been done. The conversion will not show up on the report as Coachbuilders didn't add it.Next would be to read all the information on the internet regarding the 2000 Eldorado ETC's particularly important is the Northstar engine and head problems when overheating occurs and stretches the bolts.Many other unique features to the Coachbuilders conversion, some I have had problems with mainly in undercarriage modifications Coachbuilders did and rust. Too much to explain here.

Glen: Thanks for the tip on the rear window motors, mine are working well so hopefully they have been replaced at some time but if they fail I will get with you. I believe I owe you a photo, sorry been in Seasonal residence since early spring so Cad's been covered in garage. I am home for one week and will try to get one to you this week. Dennis

Mike Shawgo

Glenn, thanks for those photos, that's VERY helpful!  Looks like they are still available, the part shows up as being for (among other things) a 1995 GMC, certain Pontiacs, and several other GMs.  It appears that the left and right motors are the same, does that sound right?

Mike