News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Won't Charge

Started by jwaldrich, January 13, 2023, 07:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwaldrich

Freshly rebuilt generator and new voltage regulator on my 1940 LaSalle. The regulator and generator were bench tested as a pair and put out 7.8 volts on the test bench but nothing in the car.

I am out of ideas. All worked fine previously but failure caused me to pursue rebuiling the generator. That didn't fix the problem so inslatlled a new regulator. Hours and hours chasing wires and still no joy.

Could use some help.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you are stupid.

39LaSalleDriver

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but have you checked your battery out? Sometimes it's the simplest of things.

Ditto, have you polarized your generator?

Ditto, ditto, have you checked to see that your ground connection at the regulator is good and clean?

Ditto, ditto, ditto, have you checked and double checked that everything is wired up correctly and the wires themselves in good shape?

That's pretty much the only things that could be wrong if your generator and regulator are in tip top shape as you say.

Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

harvey b

I had a similar problem when i first started driving my 37, it was a misdirected wire,it was charging but the juice was not going to the battery,i forget exactly what wire it was,but once they were switched it was fine.I think it was the ammeter wires were backwards?,you should be ble to follow the current,see where it stops,that should be your problem,use a wire tester or volt meter,should be pretty easy to tell. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

LaSalle5019

If there is a condenser attached to the generator for radio noise suppression, make sure it is not attached to the field terminal.