News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Having difficulty rebuilding my 47 front suspension.

Started by bobrich47, March 26, 2023, 04:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrich47

Im in the process of rebuilding the front suspension of my '47. The front lower A arm bushings at the mounting shaft are very difficult to install. The removal of the originals was hard, but I did get them out using an impact gun. I notice that there is not alot of thread depth on the bushings or the arm itself. They are a course thread but not much "bight" to them. The old bushings on the left, of the 1st photo,both have what appear to be crushed or stripped threads on the center of each of the flats of the nut ends. (The new ones are on the right).   I think if they stripped, the threads would wrap around more & not just in the center of the flats of nut. The lower bushing of the knuckle support in photo 2, has the same crushed pattern yet it threads back in easily. None of the threads that these bushings go into appear stripped (photo 3). There were no metal particles that came out with any bushings either. I have the torque specs, 200 ft lbs for the arms & 150 for the knuckle support.   Are these supposed to be this tight going in?   I tried to assemble them with a breaker bar & socket but it just dosen't seem right that they are so difficult when barely half way in.   Thanks,Bob.
Bob Richards

bobrich47

Not sure why the photos didnt post, they were uploaded. I'll try again.
Bob Richards

bobrich47

The 3rd photo is of the threads in the A arm. They aren't stripped.
Bob Richards

toybox

Hi Bob, The threads on the inner lower A arms are just for locking the bushing to the arm, kind of like a threaded interference fit. The inner treads that go on the shaft have to match at both ends so the outer ones are not really threads like a bolt but rather a way of securing the bushing in the arm. You still twist it in but that"s about it. I hope this helps you , Tim

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,

Tim is correct. I've done this on my 56, which is nearly the same design as yours, just the upper arms are a slightly different shape.
These are the same design as what GM used on their trucks when they went to an independent suspension.
The nuts thread onto the shaft, but are an interference fit in the arm itself.
What you want to do is to start both sides by hand so that one will hold pressure for/against the other. Mount the shaft in a vise so it can't rotate, then using a  wrench, (not sure the exact size), or you can use a large Cresent wrench  that will fit it, and turn each nut, alternating between the two, until they are both in place. The shoulder of the nuts, just below the hex, should be against the arm at this point.
You should be able to rotate the shaft once the nuts are installed. Rotate it all the way into one of the nuts, then counting the turns, rotate it back into the other nut. Then rotate it half way to center it in the arm. (It may not come out exactly centered once you turn it so the mounting ears are in the right place, (if they are not symmetrical), but this will help when it comes time for an alignment. You can affect the caster adjustment with the shafts if they aren't centered. If there's not enough room for adjustment in the normal places, then it can be augmented with the shafts if they'll turn far enough.
I've never had to try this as centering them beforehand has always worked for me.
Another tip, if the nuts don't turn with just your wrench, use a cheater pipe over the end of your wrench.
  Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your project.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

bobrich47

Thanks guys, I appreciate that.  I did get them about ½ way in. I thought it might be esier to tighten them after mounting the arm back on first, since I have to get to 200 ft.lbs. plus I already painted them & would like to avoid scratching them, if I can. But based on your experience, if you think putting them in a vice is best, I will heed it! Let me know what you think.

On a side note. I instslled the bushings in my knuckle, then realised my king pins didnt fit! I looked on you tube about  replacing king pins. Truck bushings are reamed so they are perfectly centered. I made a few calls to a couple of long time Cadillac owners, & to my surprise,  none have heard about reaming them. I thought about trying to do it myself, but I didnt have the tool & didn't want to try with a hone or flap disc in my drill. I knew they probably wouldn't align well enough.
 I brought them to a local truck repair shop & for $40 bucks, the guy was happy to help when I told him it was for my '47 Cadillac ! They fit perfectly!  I appreciate the help.
Bob.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,
You can also install it on the car first if you want to do it that way. I have myself. I just found it easier to tighten the nuts using a cheater when it's in the vise. Plus then I can center the shaft before I mount the arm on the vehicle.
If you mount it first, then tighten the nuts, if the shaft is not centered, you wouldn't know it unless you dismount the arms and check. It is possible for one nut to push the arm over the other nut if the second one has enough wear in the hole it goes in. If this happens, the nut can bottom out on the shaft, and you could possibly crack the end of the nut, which would cause a grease leak when you lube it. If that makes sense to you.
But that's just how I do it. There's no set method, and maybe someone else has another way that works for them.
Just be careful if you do it on the car. There's less room to work in, and you'll have the car on jackstands most likely.

Rick
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Yes Rick, I do have it on jack stands & am a little leary about that.  I'll heed your advice & do it in my vice. Thanks for the help!  Bob.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

I know that when I was installing the new shafts and nuts on my truck, it definitely took more than 200 foot pounds to get them all the way in.
 I have noticed that on arms that had the shafts replaced at least once before, it was a little easier to tighten them.
 But I use a 4 foot long pipe that fits over the end of my largest crescent wrench when I do these. It's just easier for me that way. Too many back surgeries to mess around with short wrenches, lol!!
 Good luck with your repairs.

Rick
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Hi Rick, I have some more questions for you, if you don't mind.  The arm is in and my next task is to install the coil then knuckle & support. My 1st photo is my new lower bushing & threaded pin on top of a copy of the exploded diagram from my master parts book.This diagram & the similar photo in my shop manual,show the interference bushing is threaded into the steering knuckle support from the front, with the threaded pin & washer screwed in from the rear. See the arrow to the text in photo 2, which instructs to do the same.  Now my question is, does it really make a difference if the order is reversed?  The next photos show my disassembly of these parts the other day. They were clearly in the reverse order from the manual, with the nut towards the rear & the threaded pin going in from the front. The front passenger side is the same. I drove this car when I first got it about 20 years ago, but I stopped because the insulation on the wiring was crumbling off everywhere. I didn't notice any issues with the steering at the time & there is a lot of grime underneath to show it has been this way for many miles. Thanks for your time, Bob
Bob Richards

bobrich47

This last photo was not uploading.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,
I looked at mine when I got new parts for it as well trying to figure out which way it went. The book says the shaft goes in from the opposite end as the large nut does, and I had to think about why, because they don't mention the reason. What I came up with is this, if you install the shaft from the same side as the large nut, then your locking nut is free to come off the threaded end of the shaft with nothing to stop it except for the lock washer.
If you put the lock nut and washer on the shaft first, then install it from the opposite side as the large nut, if the locking nut should ever loosen up, it cannot come off the end of the shaft.
  Plus, if the shaft were to be installed from the same side as the large nut, then only a small part of it is going through the opposite side of the arm where the lock nut would be. Once the lock nut comes loose or even off of the shaft, that shaft only has to turn a small amount before it comes out of that side of the arm.
  Whereas when it's installed from the opposite side as the large nut, if the locking nut were to come loose, then the shaft would have to turn much farther before it ever comes out of the larger nut, much less the arm itself.
I think I explained that correctly. Does this make sense to you?

Rick
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Hi Rick, I'm not quite sure what you mean to install the loch nut first?  Mine are installed in the same order as the parts book shows in the first photo, it's just that the order is 180° from the book. The photo from the shop manual does not show the bushing unfortunately. 
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Hi Bob,
 I'm going out to have a look at my control arms to verify something before I go farther into this.
 Get right back to you soon.
 Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Ok, I see where I went wrong with my thinking on this.
That larger nut doesn't actually pass through the lower control arm,  it's threaded directly into the knuckle, and your threaded shaft then passes through both, going through one side of the arm first, then the knuckle, and then out the other side of the arm. Then you install the lock washer and locking nut to keep everything in place.
From appearances, I guess it wouldn't matter from which side you install the shaft. The only consideration that I can see is how easy it is to get to the fitting to lube it once everything else is installed and in place. The steering arm might get in the way, that's the only thing that I can see.
Well, other than maybe when an alignment is being done, it might be helpful if the hex end of the shaft were on the rear just because the Technician would be working from that side to adjust the toe-in and camber and caster. That's the only thing I can think of Bob.
Maybe it was easier for the last person who had replaced those to install it opposite from what the book says, or they just didn't care. Who knows?

I hope that clarifies things some.

Rick
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Ok, I was thinking thet too. As long as the components are in the correct order it probably won't matter. It might be the case of the mechanics that actually worked on these cars found it a bit better to do it this way than the engineers upstairs doing it on paper.    I appreciate your time & patience with me! Thank You, Bob.
Bob Richards

bobrich47

Is yours done the opposite way, or as the manual says? Just curious.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Mine isn't all together yet. Only partially assembled so far. I've got another set on the car just for now so I can move it around when I can get to work on it.
 I'd have to look at my other 56 since I haven't touched it yet. But that would be later today.
 I've got a few things to do in town this morning.
 Once I get a look at it I'll let you know what I find.
 Glad to help.

Rick
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Bob Richards

toybox

Hi Bob, Rick,  So here is one thing I found when dismantling my 46 front end. Everything was 180 out from the shop manual. Even the upper arms/shocks were flipped right for left! I think that maybe something was going on at the assembly plant at Cadillac as I have heard this story before. Tim