News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1934 LaSalle.....More Pictures!...gota keep punching !!

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, March 14, 2019, 05:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry s

There's the 1935 LaSalle convertible on the cover of the current membership directory owned by Randy Denchfield. No contrast but a beautiful orange color.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Cadillac Jack 82

I'm a purist but ultimately its your car.  I think the color combo looks great!  Looks like something out of pulp mag from the 30s and 40s
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

MikeGerman

Nice!
I saw your car online last year and hoped someone would save it. Great!
Mike German
CLC#29979
1936 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

A few more today....
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

First I want to thank everybody for the good words of encouragement as my project chugs along...

I also want to thank those who showed restraint because I realize the car could cause strong feelings one way or the other....

I've been installing more trim and the bumpers.....

Lesson learned...... There is a good reason to go and look at a car before you buy it......Beside the rust in the body, the broken exhaust manifold, the bumpers were rotted, twisted or missing completely....finding these bumpers in decent condition is probably impossible.....

So, what I did is grab some stainless steel channel, made some cuts and curves, welded them up to get the right shape and try to recreate those bumpers.....I really want to get the car back on the road and I don't want to wait for the right parts.....I could always keep my eyes peeled for them in the future....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

More pictures......
Mike
Baillargeon

chevy350

Best regards from Sicily,Giuseppe

harry s

Bumpers look really great. They will probably buff up just like plated.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Guys!......She's getting there... still a long way to go....

Yes Harry I bet they'll buff up good but, with the expensive surprises found and repaired on the car, I had to base-coat / clear-coat the exterior trim, door, trunk & rumble seat handles and the hood ornament to stay on budget....so I decided to keep the bumpers dull for now....

I don't know how to handle the running board trim.....the car only came with some pieces and those fish gill trim pieces on the lower center of the front fenders...again only pieces came.....if I go with chrome pieces I think they'll look out of place....and that's if I could ever find them for sale...

Like I said before, I want to get the car on the road in a more or less complete/correct stage....It's not going to be a show stopper but I just want the average guy on the street to look at the car and it's overall Harley Earl design...It's easy to see Mr. Earl was really good at this design stuff.....something seriously lacking today....

With these wind tunnel designs of today we're not saying where have you  gone Joe DiMaggio...No....It's where have you gone Harley Earl !!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Started to fit the running boards today.....

I had one decent original that I shipped to Smoothie Fabrication in North Carolina, I think it was the passenger side......They made a duplicate and then did a mirror image for the drivers side....they even punched the holes for the bolts.

They also did all the brackets and braces underneath...everything was done really nice.....only $250 per board, I thought was pretty good....

I still have to figure out the running board trim along the edge....

I'm hoping to be on the road soon!.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

chrisntam

'34 LaSalle is fabulous.  It's coming together and looking great!

Looking forward to seeing it at a GN near you!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

MaR

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks guys!!

Next is connecting fuel pump to gas tank....I know the engine runs....I've had it going off a gas can.....a little smoke...lots of marvel mystery oil - ATF - acetone went in and I'm hoping we're still burning that off.

Brakes feel good so far....I'm going to see how the clutch is.

One step at a time.....I like this part of the work....not alot of money spent...testing and watching the results.....fingers still crossed....on the road soon!!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

z3skybolt

Looking forward to seeing it's picture on a 2021 calendar.   I love them stock. But your LaSalle is gorgeous.

Keep it up,

Bob

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Bob,...I like stock also but, really going completely back to stock is expensive......I like to leave all that really fine detail work to the guys who have deeper pockets than me.....

Someone always comes along who can't live without the car....buys it and takes it back to that outer limit.....till then I'll really enjoy driving it around.....Only the people on this forum know what a 1934 LaSalle should look like....the average Joe has no idea what he's looking at.....I just say she doesn't look bad for being 85 years old right!

Done or not I had to get her on the road today....It was a big hit!!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Had to put her on the road today, done or not, she starts, moves and has brakes what more do you need....It's been a long year plus of work....

A couple of miles away the local NAPA store has coffee and donuts for the guys as they come and go all day with their hot rods and classics....Today I rolled up in the LaSalle....big hit!!  Unusual look had everybody looking at the progress....

The car smoked a little more than I thought it might.....but I did put alot of ATF,...Marvel Mystery Oil,...Acetone and whatever other kind of concoction I could find to free the stuck motor.....I'm hoping it's going to be just time to burn all that off and to get those rings loosened up......

From what I understand, today was the first day in 50-60 years she been on the road under her own power.....it was a blast going down the boulevard....people just stopped and stared....Clutch, brakes, engine power was better than expected....

Here are some pictures I took out in the daylight....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Couple more pics....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Baillargeon #15848

WOW in a few months it's going to be 2 years since I posted on the progress in the restoration of my 1934 LaSalle coupe....but the restoration goes on and may never end.....

Looks like I have the cooling problem fixed and the leaky wheel cylinder was re-sleeved.....I took the car out for a ride today and she ran great and looked good.....

The bi-plane bumpers I fashioned were ok but, they certainly didn't look as good as the originals.....I had a decent set of 4 blades I sent out to be re-chromed, along with the associated parts....the chrome guy chromed 2 of the blades and told me the other 2 were too far gone to re-plate.....

So I brought the 2 bad bumper blades to a local metal fabricator for them to duplicate....that was 2 months ago and I haven't hear a word from those guys....I'm going to go over there next week and make sure they don't forget about me....

A couple of entries above this post are pictures of the custom bumpers I made.....below are the pictures of the 2 bumpers I got back from the chromer.....I like the stock bumpers better....I'm waiting for the rear bumpers....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon