News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator to alternator conversion

Started by rich1961, May 15, 2020, 08:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1961

I am trying to convert my 61 from the generator to an alternator. Does anyone know where I can by the kit?
Thanks in advance
Rich

cadillac ken

Ive converted many of my 331 CI, 365 CI, and 390 CI engines to an alternator.  You really don't need a kit if you have a little ability to work on your car. 

You will need to get a two wire internal regulator GM alternator and a NAPA store or any local independent parts store will know exactly what you are asking for.  Forget about Autozone or Advance Auto Parts-- they will only read what the computer screen tells them. IIRC, any 1975- 1985 GM alternator will work. The old generator bracket can stay in place on the engine. You will only need to mess with the slotted slider/adjuster bracket.

I will take some photos of my '58 Cadillac engine with this set up today and post them tomorrow.  You will see how simple it is.

Roadmaster75

Here’s a tip.

Go to madelectrical.com.

Great little outfit that will not only provide what you need, but will educate you
on the correct connections to make and why.
You will also retain your “GEN” light if you have one.

Great tutorial info there.

I had an alternator failure in a 1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.
It also had an external regulator.
$1500 for a new RR alternator! And $250 for. New regulator.

They guided me thru the process of replacing the stock components to
a GM 12si with internal regulator.  Just had to swap the pulley and used
A couple of washers to space the alt. mount.
Retained the idiot light from RR .  This was 20 years ago but the NAPA lifetime
Alt. Cost $75.00 and the madelectrical kit was about $25.   

Go for it.

Jon S

Just my humble opinion but a properly maintained generator is what your car is designed for and will work just fine for all your factory optioned needs.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

walt chomosh #23510

Rich,
  I had a number of generator failures then finally converted to an alternator....problem solved! I drive my 1955 Cadillac and insist on "road worthiness". I was told by a respected auto electrical shop that all the overhaul parts for generators are low quality imports.(I used the same internally regulated GM alternator that's in a 1964 Chevelle that I've owned for 35yrs or so)....have never had a failure in either vehicle!.....walt....tulsa,ok

JohnnyRockit

I switched over to the "Genernator" last year...an external generator with an alternator inside.

It was an easy swap-out but I decided to increase the gauge of the wire going to the battery.

I went with the version that supports the factory GEN light...happy so far!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

Andrew Trout

Dan LeBlanc has done a write-up on this in the past as well:

Quote1961-1962 Generator to Alternator Conversion
1. Remove Gen, Regulator and wiring from car and place in storage (don't throw away)
2. Remove lower bracket attached to manifold
3. Turn bracket to face opposite direction and reinstall on manifold
4. Purchase a common Single Wire Alternator with upper and lower tabs
5. Attach lower tab to front of bracket on manifold (formerly rear of bracket)
6. Attach upper tab to adjustable upper bracket coming off the engine block
7. Use washers to true pulleys if necessary

If going to a parts store, ask for a 1983 Olds Delta 88 with the 305 alternator. Otherwise, if you get some nut job who doesn’t know what they’re talking about and say you’re converting your Cadillac from a generator system to an alternator system, they’ll give you a blank stare. To use the idiot light, you'll need the three wire setup this car used. You'll also need to buy a 3" (possibly 3/8"-16) bolt for the bottom tab of the alternator as the stock one just isn't long enough. True-up the pulleys with either 3 or 4 flat washers and slightly bend the top link outward at the bend closest to the water pump and inward at the bend closest to the alternator to get it to meet the alternator at the right point for the bolt hole to line up and not put stress on the top tab of the alternator..

For the hookup, you'll find three terminals - Bat (+) 1 (sometimes labeled R) and 2 (sometimes labeled F).

Connect the Bat (+) terminal to the battery via a fusible link using a minimum of 8AWG wire.

Terminal 1 or R, is the relay terminal that your idiot light works with. Connect the brown wire from the vehicle's main wiring harness that used to connect to the generator to this terminal. It needs to have some sort of resistance â€" the light bulb is fine.

Terminal 2 or F is the field terminal. This should be connected to a central point in the electrical system as it monitors the voltage in the system and "excites" the alternator into operation if the voltage in the system falls below a preset value. Ideally this would be where all accessories connect to the vehicle and, since it doesn't carry much of a load, a 14AWG wire is sufficient. A good place to connect would be at the main power wire to the fuse box as this is the main point where all the accessories connect and is the most accurate point to measure voltage based on the load placed on the system.

Terminal 2 can also be connected to the BAT terminal for simplicity of installation; however, the alternator won't necessarily be regulating the overall system's voltage. It usually doesn't make a difference if you connect here or at the fuse box, just one point is more accurate at regulating the voltage than the other.

Voila â€" turn the key, start the car, and enjoy!

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=124265.msg263148#msg263148

I run a generator on my car (1961 Cadillac) as I'm trying to have my car look as original as possible. I'm considering switching to an alternator that looks like a generator in the future, but they tend to be expensive and there's other parts of the car that need addressing first.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Saturnin15

Sedan Deville 1956

cadillac ken

I tried to get photos of my 1958 I did with an alternator conversion on.  But with the huge OEM A/C compressor above the alternator I was unable to get any photos of any consequence. 

Fortunately others here have given some great advice and direction.  Good luck.

bcroe

For owners with 12V systems, an alternator is an easy solution to
parts, reliability, capacity, and cost problems.  And HAMs will
mention, no radio interference.  The above instructions are the
way I would do it.  My alternators were $25 junk yard pulls, and
a new front bearing and brushes. 

Note, alternator pulleys are not all the same dia, subbing a
larger one will reduce tendency for belt squeal.  Definitely
use the internally regulated alt with a big stud and 2 wires. 
Connect the voltage sensing wire to the point where the alt
(was gen) output branches out to the car circuits to get best
voltage regulation, a bit brighter lights.  And a heavier gauge
feed wire from the big stud might be in order, I have 6 gauge
welding cable.  Bruce Roe

FiftySix

Quote from: Saturnin15 on May 15, 2020, 10:28:42 PM
I went with a Powergen on my 56.  Not cheap but looks like the stock generator. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/alternators-and-generators/year/1956/make/cadillac/engine-size/6-0l-365/alternator-case-style/generator

How did you do the wiring? I have a 56 and bought a Powergen but i've been having problems with the wiring. Thanks.
Sean
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood

davidblut125

Oh, I tried to make a generator from an induction motor with my own hands. True, it would be better if I immediately took the invector generator, but decided to try my hands in business. I paid special attention to the winding. The connection of the ends of the windings can be performed by a star or delta circuit. Each option has its own characteristics. They must be taken into account for different operating conditions. It has three insulated wire windings. through which the induced currents flow and form the total torque of the magnetic field. My problem was that I led to the external terminals of the stator through the rotating slip rings with a brush mechanism. It is called a phase-wound rotor. It stopped working completely.

swimbikerun

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM
Rich,
  I had a number of generator failures then finally converted to an alternator....problem solved! I drive my 1955 Cadillac and insist on "road worthiness". I was told by a respected auto electrical shop that all the overhaul parts for generators are low quality imports.(I used the same internally regulated GM alternator that's in a 1964 Chevelle that I've owned for 35yrs or so)....have never had a failure in either vehicle!.....walt....tulsa,ok
Rich I bought a 55 and am looking to swap to an alternator, which model did you use?
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

Technician!

Perfection bordering insanity