News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1936 Cadillac LaSalle Coupe restoration story

Started by MikeGerman, July 31, 2021, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGerman

Hey guys this is Mike from Germany.
I had the luck to purchase a 1936 Cadillac LaSalle Coupe this spring.

The overall condition is good. The car was frame off painted, there was a new wireing installed and the original straight eight was - what I was told - overhauled.
However, it's gonna be a long way to make it roadworthy again. I am trying to restore the car as authentic as possible.

The interior was rotten so right now we take care of the rotten interior. Pulled everything out, I got the fabrics and wait for reupholstering now.

I noticed that the starter works very slow, almost stops. There are no turn lights.  The wiring is not 100% functional and some other things do not work as they should.

But beside from one chevron, the LaSalle letters on the hood everything is there. I will make pictures to tell you about the progress. If you have any information, I am thankful for everything.

Best
Mike
Mike German
CLC#29979
1936 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Looks like a solid car Mike!

I'm looking forward to watching your progress....this one looks like a great place to start!

Your engine picture has already helped me....I can see where the oil pressure tube gets connected on the block....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

MikeGerman

Hey Mike, I've send you a PM.
I know that I do have the wrong Carb. Should be a Stromberg EE-15.
Mike German
CLC#29979

dogbergs

Good day Mike,

What a lovely car and condition looks really solid too, congratulations!

Johan Lundgren, SollefteƄ/ Sweden
-51 Cadillac serie 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara 2dHt, 1 driving and 1 for spares.
-70 Volvo 121 (Now sold after 21 years)
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-43 Royal Enfield WDCO
-33 Ford Pick up, project

MikeGerman

Mike German
CLC#29979

MikeGerman

Hey guys, just picked up the car from my reupholsterer.
I think she did a great job, looks even better live.
Brought the car to the shop now to fix some electrical problems and get a German registration. He'll start at the end of October.

Question to the '36 owners:

The starter is turning VERY slow. Is that normal? My 40 and 41 turn way faster.

Where does the exaust go normally? Down under the gas tank? Mine is missing so I am figuring out how it was originally...

Will keep you guys updated

Best
Mike
Mike German
CLC#29979

Tom Boehm

To get the 36 Lasalle to turn over faster   (just like any 6 volt system)

1. Clean rust, paint, and dirt from battery poles, where the positive ground strap connects to the frame, the ends of the ground strap from the frame to the engine, and the negative battery cable connection to the starter.

2. clean rust, paint, and dirt from between the starter and the bell housing. yes this works.

3. Install a thick battery cable from the negative battery post to the starter. Equal to 00 welding cable. Available from YnZ vintage wiring reproduction and others.

MikeGerman

Mike German
CLC#29979