News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct extended length of a 1956 power antenna

Started by Cadman-iac, October 11, 2021, 08:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

I have been studying this antenna for my 56, and I believe that someone has at one time replaced the mast and cable assembly with parts from a newer antenna. (That's just the actual extension pieces, not the housing for it).
And the reason I think that is because of it's total length when extended completely. I'm getting a total of 40 inches from the top of the housing to the tip of the mast itself. However the housing is long enough for a much longer mast to fit inside. The housing is around 20 to 21 inches long/tall, depending upon where you start measuring, which would make it possible for a 50-54 inch mast assembly.
Can someone tell me what it is supposed to measure when it is fully extended?
Many thanks for your help,

Rick

I guess a short antenna is better than none for sure, but I'd still like to know for sure if this is the right one.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on October 11, 2021, 08:45:49 PM
I have been studying this antenna for my 56, and I believe that someone has at one time replaced the mast and cable assembly with parts from a newer antenna. (That's just the actual extension pieces, not the housing for it).
And the reason I think that is because of it's total length when extended completely. I'm getting a total of 40 inches from the top of the housing to the tip of the mast itself. However the housing is long enough for a much longer mast to fit inside. The housing is around 20 to 21 inches long/tall, depending upon where you start measuring, which would make it possible for a 50-54 inch mast assembly.
Can someone tell me what it is supposed to measure when it is fully extended?
Many thanks for your help,

Rick

I guess a short antenna is better than none for sure, but I'd still like to know for sure if this is the right one.

Rick,

My antenna is a 3-section mast with a 56" fully extended there is a 4th mast inside which covers the extended sections and the nylon cord.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Timo

Hi Cadman-iac,

we have done a small run of high quality reproduction antenna masts for all '56 Cads. It has been manufactured to all original specs and comes with all parts to rebuilt the antenna with drive gear components.

I am selling it through eBay to the US because I don't have an official distributor in the US yet: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275621518942

Send me a mail to sales@customradioshop.de if you need help with yours.

Cheers TIMO

1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville
1961 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadman-iac

TIMO,
 Thank you for this information, email sent.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

I have Timo's rebuild kit, though yet to install it. His assembly appears to be an exceptionally well made unit. I also have a "rebuilt", fully operational all original (I think) 1956 antenna. Cadman-iac I can bench test it and measure the mast length when fully extended if you wish. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on March 20, 2023, 12:13:27 PMI have Timo's rebuild kit, though yet to install it. His assembly appears to be an exceptionally well made unit. I also have a "rebuilt", fully operational all original (I think) 1956 antenna. Cadman-iac I can bench test it and measure the mast length when fully extended if you wish. Clay/Lexi

I think it's around 54 to 56 inches long from fender opening to the tip. I have my original one which is working well now, and I installed a new drive cable in it that I got from Roger Zimmermann over a year ago. I did have to straighten the original mast though.
It's my backup antenna that I was not sure about.  The mast on it is over a foot shorter, and if memory serves, it has 4 segments instead of the 3 my original one has. Thats why I think someone had swapped it out with a newer one.
  Thanks for your offer. Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

OK, Cadman-iac. Glad to learn that you are still working on Marilyn. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on March 20, 2023, 02:03:32 PMOK, Cadman-iac. Glad to learn that you are still working on Marilyn. Clay/Lexi

Well, there's no actual work being done on her at this time, but I'm still wanting to get back into it. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can give it another go.

Rick
CLC# 32373