News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hello

Started by paul c, October 31, 2021, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul c

Hi all, I'm a newbie  from the original Washington in the UK. been a Cadillac lover since I was a little kid, I have a 60 2door and just got a 36  2 door coupe which is a series 60 I believe?, need a bit of advice and or parts, does  anybody know what the thread size is on the tie rod end as I intend to change all four, the prices are all over along with the shipping cost , just wondering if there was a generic tie rod that fit many cars,
also going to need a water pump rebuild kit or pump, and finally are we stuck with the 3 speed box or can other boxes work, 

thanks  Paul

J. Skelly

Welcome, Paul!

I suggest you post your questions under the Technical section.  A good Subject title would be, "Seeking technical assistance with a recently purchased 1936 Cadillac".  You will get a lot more views and responses.

Best wishes,
Jim
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

harry s

Quote from: paul c on October 31, 2021, 10:01:28 AM
are we stuck with the 3 speed box or can other boxes work, 

thanks  Paul
Welcome, Yes to the above.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Cadman-iac

Paul,
Are you referring to the end that threads into the adjustment sleeve, or the nut that retains it to the steering arm on the spindle?
The adjustment sleeve end can be left handed thread. I say "can" be, you would have to check yours to know for sure. One end of the tie rod is threaded opposite of the other end so that when the sleeve is rotated it either shortens or lengthens your complete tie rod assembly.
I am not positive, but I believe that the outer ends of the tie rods are right hand threads, and the inner ends are left hand threads. At least this has been true for the majority of vehicles I've worked on. I don't know if this is an industry standard or not.
Maybe someone else will know that and share it with us.
I don't know anything about your transmission question, but again, there are several members here that are experts on these older models.
  Welcome to the forum, and please continue to participate and ask questions. We love pictures too, so please share.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

paul c

update on the 36  water pump, stripped the pump and found the shaft and impellor to be OK , replaced the bearing and fitted a pair of Vpac seals  and it seems to be sorted , price was about $20