News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

29 cad project

Started by jp1gt, March 31, 2022, 09:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp1gt

I got most of it home. Will have to make one more trip! If anyone has a 29-30 phaeton and could help me with info and some pics, let me know

Big Fins

This will be a cool project to follow. You do like a challenge!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Big Fins on March 31, 2022, 11:08:58 AM
This will be a cool project to follow. You do like a challenge!

Oh Yea !!

Just put my seat belt on....This is going to be a fun ride !!

JP...get the rest of it home....spread it out and see what you have and what you don't have and then we can go from there....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

dogbergs

Now we're talking!.. Congratulations, enjoy the time with it.
-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

harry s

Congratulations. It will be a fun ride.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

dogbergs

When you wake up hoping a thread has a new picture post for the morning coffee?
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

novetti

Very cool ! Sure there is a journey ahead !

54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

jp1gt

I wake up an hour before anyone else so I watch youtube videos. Lots of info on chrome. making small parts, body work and paint. Some stuff I have never done before but I have not come across anything that I could not do. At least now I have more patience!

jp1gt

I am still sorting things out. I had a picture in my mind that I would start with the frame and just start finding parts and installing them.
Reality, is that there are a lot of parts that I do not know what they are. I got a hold of a 29 town sedan that another guy wanted the eng and wheels so I foound a good untouched chassis to show me where everything goes. right now still sorting and derusting parts with molasses. It takes time but I can get a big container and soak large things. I started putting the tub outside because it is messy but the dogs and horses drank all the liquid. now it is indoors. has a nice smell-- I still have not mastered the hydrochrome mostly because I had to learn how to do PERFECT painting on small objects. If anyone can use a real nice town sedan body, I have to figure out what to do with it.

Willbarq

I was curious if you purchased a dealer service manual yet?  As far as molasses goes..it might be slow. An inexpensive tumbler for small parts might be in order. Harbor freight or a tumbler from the ammunition reloading community.

William

The Tassie Devil(le)

Personally, I wouldn't be advocating the use of a tumbler in conjunction with a Molasses procedure, as there could be the possibility of damage to the parts being cleaned as they rub together for weeks at a time, abrading themselves.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jp1gt

I first soak in molasses, for how long it varies. I then soak in evaporust, then another dip in molasses. It seems to put a coating so it will not rust if no water gets on it. I am going to start coating them with wd 40 if they are not going to be painted. Here are some pics.mol2.jpg     

jp1gt

the other pic

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Post a picture of the car before it came apart. I know you have one. It may jog some memories? 
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

jp1gt

Good idea! This was a long time ago!20220413_101642.jpg

59-in-pieces

Jack,

The side view picture of your car is spectacular.

When I was younger - way younger - I would have jumped right into your adventure.

Good luck to you - take many pictures - you may think they will not be needed or so many would be overkill.
But, I assure you when it comes to putting it all back together, you'll wish you would have take that picture at just a little better angle.

Envious- Have Fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dogbergs

Well, envy is not a good state. We will try hard look behind that and just be happy for you, get a glimpse of it little now and then. Thank you for sharing.

Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

jp1gt

I bought a parts car that helps a lot for parts and placement of the parts I have. I wish I could find someone that could use a near perfect town sedan body. I have mastered restoring bakelite and my wife is now an expert in cleaning chrome!

35-709

"and my wife is now an expert in cleaning chrome!"

Lucky guy!  I offered my wife the opportunity to become an expert at cleaning my chrome wire wheels, she declined.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

...I've had the same experience but she sure can tell me how it should be done.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum