News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Series 60 Fleetwood Water Pump Inlet/Outlet

Started by suki5414, April 18, 2022, 01:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suki5414

Trying to bring my heater core/heater blower back online and someone removed the heater hoses and inlet/outlet ports from the water pump at some point in the past.

I have the correct hoses.

Does anyone know what the correct fittings are? - and where I could find the barbed fittings for the inlet and outlet hose connection at the water pump?

Many thanks in advance.

1977 Eldorado (my first car at age 15-sold)
1982 Eldorado (sold)
1968 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1989 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1961 Fleetwood
1964 Series 62

Daryl Chesterman

Jesse, NAPA has the heater hose nipples.  They are not a barbed fitting as such, but have a rounded, raised rib on the end of the nipple, with
a smooth area behind the rib that is wide enough for the width of the hose clamp.  They come in straight or 90° configuration, and you will need to know if the threaded part of your water pump is 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread and the hose size—5/8" or 3/4".  The web address below is an example of a straight fitting.

https://www.carid.com/dorman/steel-hvac-heater-hose-connector-mpn-56356.html

If you have the parts book for your car, you could look in there—probably under the water pump—and see if it shows the location and/or description of the sizes for the nipples.  There might be references to this data in the shop manual, in the cooling system section, but I doubt it.

Daryl Chesterman

Clewisiii

Both on mine are straight. It is the pump itself creating the angle.  But now that I look at mine I see where my nipple has corrosion eaten through the lower portion of the nub. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

suki5414

ok...new water pump question:

the water pump itself has a temp sensor in the side where the wire was landed when i took the pump off, but there is also what looks to be an abandoned temp sensor in the engine head.

which one is the correct sensor location to use?

can you wire both up to get an average temp across both sensors?

there's only the one green wire. the wiring diagram only shows one sensor. is it possible i have a rebuilt/recast/aftermarket water pump than the original? and the extra port was added to the rebuilt/recast/aftermarket castings? my water pump is painted black, but the oriignal would have been blue, correct?
1982 Eldorado (sold)
1961 Fleetwood
1964 Series 62

Clewisiii

No sensor in water pump.  Do you have a picture.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

Some of those aftermarket pumps have an additional port that is blocked off when used on '59-'62 cars.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

suki5414

so my water pump must be a replacement.

it doesnt have the casting numbers on it. it has the temp sensor port. it does have an older style cast impeller.

and i assume that port that lets you see the shaft is for lubing the bearing?
1982 Eldorado (sold)
1961 Fleetwood
1964 Series 62

Clewisiii

Caddyholic

That extra pipe hole was for a series 75 that had a heater in the rear compartment.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville