News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Race gas

Started by David Greenburg, April 30, 2022, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I now live near a major racetrack, and attended a car show there today that was being put on in conjunction with vintage sportscar races.  Participants were allowed to drive sedately (45-55, no passing) for three laps, which suited the '60 quite well, but that is a story for another day.  On my way out, I was able to top off my tank with 10 gallons of 110 octane race gas.  The car seems to enjoy this very much; she probably hasn't tasted the good stuff in 40+ years. Other than the price, is there a downside to using this stuff?  At about twice the price of what passes for premium around here (91 octane corn juice) I'm certainly not going to run a full tank of it, but what is a good proportion to get the benefits of the high octane?  Would adding say 5 gallons every other tankful be beneficial?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

V63

The downside is you will realize the Pump
crap they call gasoline today. You won't want to go back.

The race fuel sounds like 'purple 110' with lead. (And No alcohol!)

Straight you should notice your engine runs quieter with the lead. It's amazing.

Straight , You will be able to run at factory advance settings and consequently...lower engine temp

wrench

About 40 years ago, I worked at a major international airport on a contract to fix piston poppers like Zantop DC -6s and DC3 running parts for a local GM auto plant.

We used to have to drain 110LL by the drum to change fuel system components etc.

It was me and another guy. I was driving a 74 Datsun wagon and the other guy was driving a 72 Eldorado.

Both cars loved that stuff.

Of course, the distribution of the bounty was asymmetrical as my Datsun got 35 miles per gallon and I only drove a half hour back and forth to work.

The guy with the Eldorado got poor mileage and drove over an hour each way....

That eldo sucked down that juice pretty hard.

If you are gonna run a mix of that stuff, I would make sure the tune is right and check the air/fuel ratio. For both performance and economy purposes.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

fishnjim

I don't think it's rational for one to anthropomorphize about a vehicle's appetite for fuel.

The old or period gas spec number for "premium" used to be around 103, if memory serves me, but not sure if R or M value.  I have the data somewhere.
I guess with a steady diet, it could be slightly leaned out and function quite normally.   If it's burning clean, no soot, I wouldn't worry.   
Airplanes have different fuel requirements than autos beyond the octane rating.   They have to operate at varying atmospheric pressures with altitude, etc. - lean out as required.  "No" water, so it don't freeze and plug up the carb or lines.   Freeze point is minus 40 or so.   That's why there's a visual drain tube.
Jets use "Jet A" which is closer to diesel/kerosene.   So you DO NOT want to use that in a gasoline vehicle!

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Sunoco "Surge" is a great race fuel, 110 octane, no ethanol. 5 gallon or 50 gallon drums,
hang on to your wallet. I mixed this in my car 75% 93 Octane, 25% Surge before I had the engine rebuilt.
With modern innerds now, I'm OK with straight pump gas. If the dealer asks you what you want the fuel for,
its for your off road dirt bikes.

There's a huge difference between AVGAS and Jet A. AVGAS for the piston Pipers, Jet A for, well, jets. Many old engines
thrive on AVGAS.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

TJ Hopland

You also have to be aware of the legal issues.  That fuel usually doesn't have the on road state taxes applied to it so you can't legally burn it on public roads.  How would you get caught?  Easy a inspector just sees you put it in your car then sees you don't load it on a trailer when you leave.  Some states even have a whistleblower program where people can get a reward for sending in videos of misuse.   If you get caught its like many government things where they estimate how much you owe them and its up to you to prove that it was less.   

I have not heard of it at racetracks because I don't think their ability to dispense fuel is as clear as an airport but I have heard of airports that have had their fuel dispensing license threatened for selling fuel to people that were not clearly putting it in planes.   Obviously the location makes a difference but it just takes one auditor inspector sort of person to decide that its an easy target and the fun is over.   They do it a lot with diesel but there its easier to prove because off road stuff has a dye in it so they check the tank or your filters for the dye.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Poncholover

2 advantages to Avgas, it typically has a 5 year shelf life so the risk of it going stale is reduced.
It also has enough lead to boost the octane of a largely full tank so much less is needed.
Of course TEL is a poison...
Flattie Caddy

David Greenburg

It is Sunoco 110, which was the lowest octane they were serving.  They also had 112 and 114 available. The regular pumps were shut off, and there was a large Sunoco truck there that they were pumping from.  Apparently the regular pumps are not used during events, but are otherwise available during business hours and contained some other octanes, including 91 and 100. As for dispensing, they just pumped it right into my car, which was obviously not a race car.  OTOH, the guys manning the station appeared to be Sunoco employees who might travel with the truck to race events and not be paying much attention to state laws. They sure loved the car though, and took pics and asked  all the usual questions about mileage, how many bodies in the trunk etc.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

wheikkila

The other problem is if your car has a catallactic converter the lead will kill the converter. I'm sure the cars run well on it. My old 69 Lamon's loved the stuff.
Thanks Wayne

wrench

Quote from: fishnjim on May 01, 2022, 10:05:03 AM
I don't think it's rational for one to anthropomorphize about a vehicle's appetite for fuel...

I guess with a steady diet...

Lol, I agree.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Dave Shepherd

2 others things to consider  with Av  gas, different  Reed vaporization rate and fuel's specific gravity, used some of this in my former race car and it required some rejetting to run properly.

scotth3886

I do somewhat the same.  I go to our local VP racing fuel distributor, and although it's available to pump directly into your car, I bring 3 or so 5-gallon containers to bring home about 15 gallons of 110, which is leaded.  While the Cadillac seems to be fine on whatever pump 93 premium I feed, but my GM brand P isn't.  Even a 10% mix of the race gas is enough to control detonation on hot days running the A/C.  My brand P cars with closed chamber heads had much the same issue when new back in the early to mid 60s, but back then we had Sunoco 260 which also took care of the issue.  I have the Cadillac timing set on the edge of detonation, which still gives me 8 - 9 BTDC so it's pretty much fine the way it is. 

bcroe

That lead really is poison, way too much of it found on
stuff near major roadways.  For a while I found mixing
leaded premium with unleaded premium worked better
than any single grade.  For a while I used water injection.
to get engines to run right on crap gas.  But those
engines took a LOT of maintenance, and the water
injection was worse.  Engines were not designed to have
the timing set by how inferior the fuel might be. 

In the end I got rid of those high performnce 60s engines
that always needed maintenance.  I changed to the biggest
low compression late 70s V8 that would fit, along with a
really good exhaust system and a (6 speed) switch pitch
trans. The heaviest car I ever owned runs just fine on the
cheapest crap unleaded, no looking for airport fuel.  Go
100,000 mile tuneups, it is actually also my fastest car
ever, and cruising to the coast at 70 mph, it gets the SAME
19mpg as those 60s machines.  Bruce Roe

dochawk

I have a delusion that, someday, Bruce will manage to simultaneously defy the laws of physics and the geometry of the TH425, and show me how to get more gears and a switch pitch torque converter onto my Eldorado . . .

::)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

bcroe

Quote from: dochawk
I have a delusion that, someday, Bruce will manage to simultaneously defy the laws of physics and the geometry of the TH425, and show me how to get more gears and a switch pitch torque converter onto my Eldorado . . .

For a 72 E, just put a 66-67 Toronado trans in.  Manny's
Transmission will sell you a heavy duty rebuilt.  Bruce Roe

fishnjim

I'm not aware of (m)any auto catalytic convertors before clean air act of 1970, certainly not in a '60 or '61 Cadillac from the factory.   
I try to keep my feelings out of these grey areas and contentious debates but personally, I think you're wasting money for very little improvement and more risk.   I see this a lot in this "sport".   People have their pet ways and do things to their cars in the name of preservation, originality, or whatever and espouse the benefits without proof or much knowledge of what is going on.   Once an engineer, always an engineer.
You can read about the evolution of gasoline and a lot of those things will clear up.   It had more to do with refining practices.

ps: I don't always agree with the EPA on things, and they're just doing what the law provides, until it becomes political.   TEL was a bona fide octane booster and was marketed to do all sorts of engine miracles so it would be widely adopted without regard to the risks.   I think that's somewhat folly and myths persist.  There are other ways to mitigate engine knock.   There are plenty of "plumbophobes" out there, even when it's not in a form that poses much of a risk, like brass, etc.  And it's nearly impossible to eliminate Pb completely in some things even if they claim zero lead. 
The same political hysteria applies to the climate now.   Go buy a Lyriq and be a "good" citizen.   ha, HA, HAAA!

Cadillac Jack 82

I typically use regular pump 91 for the 55 but my 67 (Buick) loves the 100 octane they sell at a Loves Truck Stop off of the I-10 near Maricopa.  It was 7.99 but they've since raised it to 9.99.  160 bucks for 16 gallons hurts but good lord....that engine is so so so smooth now.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Hey,
The good part about them permanently closing our local drag strip is no more VP-MS109 at $16.50 per gallon. at 10.5:1I can run all day using 93 octane Chevron.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Technician!

Perfection bordering insanity

dochawk

Quote from: bcroe on May 03, 2022, 12:54:16 AM
For a 72 E, just put a 66-67 Toronado trans in.  Manny's
Transmission will sell you a heavy duty rebuilt.  Bruce Roe

But that's just another TH425, isn't it?

I'm thinking of more gears--a modern 8-10, but I'd settle for 4, and particularly an overdrive or three, changing the drive ratio and using the switch pitch to make up for it.

Hey, I said it was delusional!

::)

I suppose the real solution is a '68-'70 Deville convertible, where I could just use a modern transmission, or a 4L80 . . .

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)