News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cads and Lasalles added to Classic list

Started by Tom Boehm, May 01, 2022, 11:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Boehm

In the May issue of the Self Starter was a small item on page 6 that I found very interesting. It seems last fall the Classic Car Club of America accepted series 60 and 61 Cadillacs and Lasalles 1934-1940 as full Classics. As it stands now, all Cadillacs from 1915-1947 and all Lasalles are accepted by CCCA.
I find this interesting for a number of reasons. First, this happened 6 months ago and this is the first I have heard of it. I read the Self Starter and follow this CLC forum. Second, I recall that Ron Vangelderen tried to persuade the CCCA to accept the 1934 Lasalle about 25 years ago unsuccessfully. Ron was a past president of the CLC, a 1934 Lasalle owner, and co author of the book "Lasalle: Cadillac's Companion Car". His reasoning was that the 1934 Lasalle was built by Fleetwood and thus not mass produced and somewhat hand built. Now my 1940 Lasalle is a Classic and that is definitely a mass produced car, sharing a body shell with other GM divisions. What a difference 25 years makes. Too bad Ron has been dead for a long time.

Carfreak

In my opinion, the demographics of the CCCA is an even higher age than the CLC and they are desperate for members.  ::)
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I can remember a note in the S/S by either Agnes Uhlir or Edith Child giving a shout when the CCCA recognized the Series 60 Specials as CCCA Classics.

Then (finally) they recognized the Series 62s and 63s. Truly, all things do come to those who wait.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

I find a bit odd some of the "cut-off" decisions made by the CCCA as to whether to include or not certain models and years in their Classic category. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Alan Harris CLC#1513

As a LaSalle owner, I always thought that it was odd that they accepted the Series 62 and 63 Cadillacs and spurned the LaSalle, since they were all mass produced cars.

That club was so exclusive for so many years that they started to run out of members. They had to do something. God knows what they will be accepting in a couple of years.

Tom Boehm

I looked it up on the CCCA website and the direct competitors to the Lasalle, the Lincoln Zephyr and the Packard 120 are not on the accepted list. That is peculiar also.

Bryan J Moran

They are desperate for members. There is little logic to what they accept or do not.  And just call them an accepted car. I always thought the term FULL CLASSIC was demeaning and snooty.  There are no half classics.  If you were waiting for FULL CLASSIC status to enjoy your car, you are in the hobby for the incorrect reasons.
CLC 35000 in number only

TonyZappone #2624

As a member of the Classic Car Club of America, The AACA, the Pierce Arrow Society, and a member of all of them for 58 years, I will comment.  If I recall correctly, the CCCA could not copyright the word "Classic", so they determined cars elgible for membership would be called Full Classics, I don't think that half classic, or anything else was considered part of the nomenclature.  In the beginning, some makes were not held in as high esteem as Packard, which was the primary car in membership in early years.  Pierce Arrow, and the Pierce Arrow Society became a strong viable marque, as has Cadillac, especially in the CCCA.  Nothing is perfect, and the CCCA strives to retain a strong place as a highly regarded national organization
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle