News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electric Clock winding measurement 1972 Eldo.

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), May 04, 2022, 08:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

Does anyone know how long the electric clock in the '70's Cadillacs should run for before the self-winding pulse rewinds the spring?

I am in the middle of rebuilding mine, and I initially had a 10 second run, then after cleaning the points, got it to run for 33 Seconds.

The "pulse" is only throwing the winder back about 3/16 of the available winding rotation, which I believe it should be at least 3/4 or more.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

They should run about 3 minutes.
2 companies made the clocks westclox and I can't remember the other right now but one was pretty much garbage.

I have a NOS 'digital'  version for a 1971-3

The Tassie Devil(le)

The one in mine, and another one I have from a '71, are made by General Time Corp.

It is the Borg design, but built a bit more ruggedly.

So far, it is running for about 1 minute each "pulse".

I am trying to keep it original, just because it is in such good condition (made one out of two)

Pictured is the fried wiring and destroyed point which resulted in a blown 25 amp fuse.   Would have hated to have seen the destruction at the time it happened.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

Yes...that's the name I couldn't think of.
Typically what happens with auto clocks is low or partial voltage situation that 'welds' the points together and when voltage is restored it burns the coil up.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One of the reasons for disconnecting the battery when storing any vehicle, as mine never had a flat battery, as it was maintained by a Battery Tender.

When it goes back in, I will be fitting a slow-burn fuse in the positive cable, and position it so I can access it with no problems, unlike the vehicles' fuse panel.   One has to get really contorted to get a good look at it.

This fuse will have a limit of anything under 6 volts, and this should assist in allowing the clock to run for another 50 years.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe