News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

472 smog delete

Started by prodjay10, May 09, 2022, 02:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prodjay10

Anyone know where I can get a smog delete? Or a smog pump that's good?

My car came in boxes and the smog pump was also taken apart.

1969 Cadillac Deville convertible

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

TJ Hopland

Its not cheap but since most of us can't find these cars sitting in the junkyard anymore its an easy way to solve the problem.

https://cad500parts.com/product/pb18031/

If you don't have AC or are replacing that anyway you could go to the 74 up style where there is a single belt for the AC instead of the dual.   You could also buy a full serp setup if you were really converting things.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

prodjay10

Mike that looks like it, it is out of stock at napa. I'll keep looking. Looks like I also need the pulley.

TJ That may be way to go. As far as AC, that is not my concern at the moment. I will need it eventually, but I'll probably have to rebuild everything and go with a sanden compressor.

I'm debating whether I want to LS swap my car or do an efi conversion. I'm not a big fan of carburetors.

TJ Hopland

If you are searching for pulleys difference in the pulley sets is there is a big gap in the non smogs between the front and rear groove(s).  That gap is what kicks the front groove out to align with the alternator and new single groove water pump pulley.   The smog pulleys all the grooves are fairly close together and you need the dual water pump so one belt goes to the crank and smog and the other goes to the alternator.   

The other difference is that 68-74ish cars had a dual AC PS belt setup.  74ish-81 was wider single groove mainly to give a little more clearance for the larger HEI distributor that became standard in 75.   You can mix and match if you don't care what it looks like, the single groove aligns with the front on the duals its just the single belt rides high on a dual pulley.   If you don't have an AC compressor in place you can run a belt straight from the crank to PS.

EFI is a lot more dooable these days.  I have had 3 different EFI systems on my 73 Eldo over the last 10+ years.  Holley Sniper and FiTech are reasonable priced internal ECU systems with self tuning that actually works assuming you install it all correctly on a otherwise good engine/system.    Each brand has its good and bad points.  You for sure what to do your research and join the forums to learn the pitfalls and pick what will work best for you.   

In tank pump in a tank made for EFI is the biggest thing that will save you headaches.   Very few people with those have fuel delivery issues compared to the issues with all the other options.  Last summer I had an issue that I thought was fuel delivery related and ended up fitting a EFI tank make for a 60's chev into my 73.  Just had to drill 2 holes in the trunk to move the mounts since the new tank was a couple inches smaller.   Tanks INC is the major source of retrofit tanks which you would also want to investigate if you do the LS swap.

I have not done al LS swap myself so I don't know how many config, wiring, and plumbing issues there are with the universal swap kits/harnesses.   I assume those issues could be similar to the EFI kits with things like getting grounds ideal and electrical noises.   The biggest reason I have not considered an LS swap is I don't like the cars they make the mount kits for and I don't have the tools or skills to fabricate all the mounts.  You then add in all the plumbing changes and custom drive shaft and on and on its no longer gonna be easy or cheap. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason